• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Sea-foam Green with flat black hood from factory?

tarafied1

I was digging thru some parts I have accumulated and found a buck tag from a parts car I bought years ago (1992-ish). I ran the numbers thru the decoder just for giggles... It has a paint code of 05 which came back as "Seafoam Green with a flat black hood"
I've never seen such combo, has anyone else? Just curious.

Warranty Number: 8T01C170009

Year: 8 1968
Plant: T Metuchen, NJ
Body Series: 01 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: C 289 2v V8
Unit: 170009 170009

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: O5 Seafoam Green w/Flat Black Hood
Trim:
Date: 16B February 16, 1968
D.S.O:
Axle: 2 2.79:1, Conventional
Trans: G code not found

:lol
it had a front clip from a 67 on it when I bought it. They were probably black or dark green fenders and hood. I bought the car for $350 along with a second 68. They were both in a farmers field but I only saw this one. When I asked if he would sell it, he said I could have it for $350 or both for $350. The second one had sunk into the ground and we had to use a back-hoe (the farmer's) to get it out. That's my oldest son in the photo, he is now 20 years old. The buck tag also says "LT GREEN PS ACOND" it had an FMX, AC a console and PS. I mainly wanted the drivers side door for my 67 (seen in photo below). I stripped the two cars and made a few hundred bucks and got the door! Later I sold the door because I found a better one that happened to be pink from the factory but was blue when I bought it.

What the H377 is that red thing under the front, a catch can? Did you drive it without the hood and that monster air cleaner? Had you just finished washing it? (you know I'm just giving you $#^@, right)

index.php

yes I know! I'm a hillbilly, that was the first time the 429 fired! The red thing is a gas can, cuz there was crap in the tank. Yes I just washed the wheels and tires! and no I didn't drive with out a hood, I put on my hood with the Boss 429 Scoop. I did have to but a thinner filter element so the hood would close!

Sooooo, you sprayed water near the open gas can you were using to start the car..... I used the same trick when I started mine, only I didnt have a fuel line in the car... thanks to Mustangs unlimited (long story..)

It wasn't open, I had the rubber fuel line shoved into the spout and down to the bottom of the can. It was a tight fit. It was only temporary too. I had to drain the tank and flush it a few times. Eventually I gave up and bought a new tank. It must have rusted a lot inside and kept clogging my fuel filter.

Anyhoo...back to the original question. I think the seafoam green with flat black hood would be a seafoam green car (my first car was a seafoam green 68 coupe) with blackout treatments. Stripes from the hood turn indicators back to the windshield.

The '68 must have had the hood inserts for the flat black application.... to Doug's point or comment. This Metuchen car in Seafoam Green most likely had just the blackout treatment for the hood insert and I am not sure but I think the blackout "stripe" extended up unto the cowl but again I don't remember.... there certainly are some factory rides still out there somewhere to confirm this.

Many of us certainly remember the green (or any factory color for the most part) '69 hoods with the more extensive blackout treatments.... but the '68 hood was different due to its style ...

Back