• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70 Sport Mirror Install Issue

68stang289

I can't seem to get my 70 sports mirror to install properly on the mach. I know there are two rubber plugs that have a threaded female adapter inside it that the mirror attaches too. I have those installed nice and tightly but when I attach the mirror, it just pulls the plugs out and slinks over. Do the plugs need to be siliconed in or do I have the wrong pieces or is there an inside the door piece I'm missing or what? I can snap off some pics if that would be helpful to you guys.

On my '69, which I assme should be similar to a '70, there are "riv-nuts" that use used and the screws then hold the mirror to them. Using a riv-nut tool, which is a bit similar to a pop-rivet tool, the riv-nuts compresses and pinches itself against the door skin and has an integrated nut which you then screw into. It works great. The $15 tool can be found at Harbor Freight, I assume they sell some riv-nuts there too but I bought mine (s/s) from a Mustang Supplier.

Ok. I have a cheaper plastic version that I got from one of the Mustang vendors. That certainly explains why it's sliding out like that though. I guess a trip to Harbor Freight is involved (oh darn!). Thanks for the heads up on that!

Correction: I did buy my riv-nuts from a Mustang vendor but they may not be s/s, just alum or soft steel. Harbor does sell them too, I found a box from them.

Good luck.

Don't use the rubber barrel buts - they SUCK. Ask me how I know.

I went to my local ACE Hardware and bought so metal insert nuts. They install with a riv-nut gun as well. I sent some to Craig (CMAYNA) as well - ask him about install too.

Is there any place that rents the riv nut installation tool? I hate spending that kind of money on a tool I will use twice.

Was at both of the harbor freights we have in the area and neither of them carried the gun or even the rivnuts themselves. Have yet to find anywhere that knew what I was talking about, yet alone carried it.

"68stang289" said:
Is there any place that rents the riv nut installation tool? I hate spending that kind of money on a tool I will use twice.

most of the body shops have them. you might swing by & just have one of the guys pop them in for a few bucks. you can also install them with a bolt & a couple nuts. might be a pain to do in the door though.

Hmm, thanks for those links 70_Fastback. I walked the store floor up and down each isle myself thinking the people I talked to just didn't know what I was talking about. But for less than $20, that I can handle. The tools I was looking at at places like Eastwoods were around $100 and I just couldn't see spending that kind of cash for two rivnuts.

I have a call into the restoration shop that is doing the paint and body work on my dad's 67 Coronet to see if he has one but no call back yet. I'm hopeful he has one I can borrow.

Back