• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

8.8 Question

lethal289

Curiosity has the best of me here, so i figured i should ask the experts. Everything i've read states that when disassembling an 8.8, its very important to keep the differential end caps in order so they go back in exactly as they came out. One site even stated that the bolts needed to be in the same order. I'm just curious, but are they not close enough if the get mixed up. If it has to be so exact, whats the outcome if they do get mixed up.

"lethal289" said:
If it has to be so exact, whats the outcome if they do get mixed up.

My 8.8 manual states: "If the end caps are not replaced in the exact order and placement as when removed, it will disrupt the space time continuum".

The diff. caps on an 8.8 are much mike the main & rod caps on your engine... They are bolted in place then machined. You start mixing & matching, and end up with holes that are no longer round. :no

Now, as for not mixing the bolts, I've never heard of that one... Although I suppose it COULD make a difference if you're one of those "99.9% isn't good enough" people. :roll

Back