• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

8 inch question

I put an 8" out of a 1974 Maverick in the son's mustang and the 2.80 gears are just a dog from a stop. Found a pumpkin with 3.4's in it.. Is there anything I should know about the pumpkin's in an 8" that I need to check to make sure this will fit. I know the 9" have different axle sizes and want to make sure this will drop in and go...

Can't think of any concerns you should encounter but will say that car will for sure launch much livelier with 3.40's

Yeah, chichy easy. I replaced the stock 2.79 8" pumpkin in my 69 convertible with a set of 3.55s. Much "snappier" out of the hole, but still no big time wheel spinner. Raises hell with the gas mileage, however. My 69 with a 302 went from around 15 mpg to around 10 in town and 13 on the road. I howl down the road at 4K rpm @ 80 mph. It did move me from the 15.40s at the drag strip to 14.30. We swapped my son's 9" 2.75 gears for 3.73 traclocs. That was only a hassle because the 9" felt like it weighed about three times what the 8" did. Think two guys under the back of a 69 SportsRoof yelling "start a bolt, #*/%!!!, start a bolt". BTW, the 3.73s are not a particularly happy combo with a 3 speed auto FMX. The car really isn't comfortable to drive at freeway speeds, but it will leave two very long black streaks off a stoplight. :yah

Back