• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9" pumpkin

limeyboy

The open 3.00 rear end on my Mach 1 is badly worn, doesn't whine but lots of play.
I want to change to a 3.50 Trac loc type.
Being in the UK I pretty much have to buy from the US and if I buy the parts then i have to pay for someone to build / set the gears so I'm looking at a complete 3rd member.
The shipping and import tax can be $300 / 600 so I need to make sure it's a good buy.
Any suggestions on make / company etc the pictures are one I found on e-bay that had cheap shipping, sometimes its 4 times the amount and I end up paying import tax on that as well.
I'm assuming all open 3.00 diffs were 28 spline ones and is there any way I can check without having to pull a half shaft out as I want to leave it driveable until I'm ready to change it.

Cheers
JeffIMG_20210903_142216.jpgIMG_20210903_142221.jpg

I use Quick Performance for all my rear end stuff. Shut up {.}. They can build a stock unit up to something that can handle thousands of ft/lbs of torque and everything in between. If you watch any of the TV performance shows or Youtube guys you'll see their name come up all the time not too mention their sticker/logo plastered on race cars in every type of racing. I can't imagine you would have any trouble with something they put together but if you did I would expect them to handle it professionally and to your satisfaction more than some random seller on E-Bay.

I run a full rear end built by them in my mustang. Tru-Trac unit which I think is far superior to the original style from Ford.

And yes, if a stock rear end it should be 28 spline.

I also run a 3.55 truetrac in a 8 inch rear end.
Import duty and taxes. Yes , I feel your pain !!!
I believe in Germany is one who also built rear ends. Will look into this evening.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I also run a 3.55 truetrac in a 8 inch rear end.
Import duty and taxes. Yes , I feel your pain !!!
I believe in Germany is one who also built rear ends. Will look into this evening.

Thanks for that, but also is if there is a problem the US is a long way away and even more shipping!

I use Quick Performance for all my rear end stuff. Shut up {.}. They can build a stock unit up to something that can handle thousands of ft/lbs of torque and everything in between. If you watch any of the TV performance shows or Youtube guys you'll see their name come up all the time not too mention their sticker/logo plastered on race cars in every type of racing. I can't imagine you would have any trouble with something they put together but if you did I would expect them to handle it professionally and to your satisfaction more than some random seller on E-Bay.

I run a full rear end built by them in my mustang. Tru-Trac unit which I think is far superior to the original style from Ford.

And yes, if a stock rear end it should be 28 spline.
I've looked at their web site, I like the fact you can "build" your rear end.
Never having touched a diff before can you explain the "pinion support and yoke" options and what I'm likely to need for my 9", it wont ever have big HP going through it I'm sure.

You just need stock style Ford 9" stuff and as far as needing a specialty pinion support, not necessary. There are a variety of different yokes for 9" rears and the bigger the number the "beefier" it gets. Really just in terms of u-joint size. Here's a good video explaining the three main sizes and how to tell them apart. Just measure what you have now and order the same.

There are also longer and shorter, wider and narrower versions of many of these. You need to make sure the length of the new yoke is the same as the current one or your driveshaft could come up too short to long. There are plenty of sources on the internet to help you determine if you have one of the less common longer pieces.

Hoserplay is correct. QP does make quality parts. Just know they are WAYYYYYY behind because of all the covid orders. It's been 10 weeks and I still don't have my new chunk.

I used this company for my 8" Tru Trac 3.55. TJ Rebert was the former owner who passed away and Alex Von Ahnen (I believe he was an employee) took over ownership. I believe he is on ebay but you use to get better pricing by directly contacting him. Haven't had issue one since my install 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

John

I've just ordered a 3.50 trac loc from Alan at 8/9" rears.
His price for a complete pumpkin delivered to me in the UK and after I've paid import duty etc is still about $100 less than a UK company wanted to "rebuild my casing" to the same spec so I get to keep a spare working diff.

But even better than that I've just taken an "original I think" leaf spring off and the front bolt " just came straight out"!!!

Be aware that you may have to alter your driveshaft length if the pumpkin's length is different than your current one.
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy from eBay. You'll never get a guarantee worth shit and if you have to return it, you'll never get your money back being overseas. Buy from a reputable company, even though it may be a couple of $100 more. You won't regret it.

There is a possibility that the rear end will make some noise the first 100 mls due to the brake-in of the truetrac.

I've had many emails back and forth "with pictures" of my current set up and the diff he is building me will have a correct date body and the correct length yoke ( hopefully) so if I'm lucky it may be an easy swop.

I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment as I've just taken of what I think is the original leaf spring and the front bolt ( I'd been spraying it for 6 months ) just came STRAIGHT OUT with no trouble at all!!

Of course with winter coming I dont know when I might be able to run the diff in :-( when I eventually get to fit it!

Don't know where you are located ( up north of the UK ? ) but wheather and temp conditions will be good till a few weeks before Christmas. So get off your a$$ and take some pics when installing that pumpkin !!!

Don't know where you are located ( up north of the UK ? ) but wheather and temp conditions will be good till a few weeks before Christmas. So get off your a$$ and take some pics when installing that pumpkin !!!

Right down South by the sea, Worthing, probably warmer than where you are :)
I dont expect the diff for a couple of weeks ( he's building it next week so it should ship by next Friday) and by then the whole country will have run out of petrol / food / beer ( very bad) so who knows when she will get back o the road but I will have lots of pictures anyway.
How far out do the half shafts have to come to release the diff? I don't want to remove them completely at the moment if possible.

You will feel it as the shafts will drop a bit.

I see your point but it's only the half shaft and hopefully I will have everything ready ( with a friend to give me a hand) so it's a case of cleaning the old ( not so old as I've changed it twice this year to try and give it a flush) out and fitting the new pumpkin straight away.

While I'm here any knowledge on the leaf spring U bolts, the ones rock auto sent me are 2.500" i/d and the ones ( original again I think, flat inside shaped ones) I've taken off are 2.800" i/d my axle has " necked" ends.

Back