• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A German surprise.

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I was out driving my '69 Mustang convertible yesterday and I wound up at a stoplight in the right lane behind a Porsche Panamera. A beautiful black beast. In the left lane was a silver BMW M3. When the light turned green the two German performance/luxury cars rolled off and stayed side by side all the way across the intersection. Neither one seemed willing to give the other an inch. There was a freeway entrance about a quarter mile ahead on the left side and the M3 started to pick up the pace to get in front of the Panamera and, because I was in a convertible with the top down, I clearly heard the Porsche jump on the skinny pedal and then the M3 respond. To my surprise, the M3 crisply drove past the Porsche and moved over in front of him to get on the freeway. Somehow I had expected the Panamera to win the tussle.

Maybe the Porsche driver had a brain and decided it wasn't worth it.

In a head to head match I'd go with the M3....power to weight I think would come into play. Not knowing the specs of each though I cannot say definitively.

For starters, the Porsche could be as much as 1000 lbs heavier depending on style. And unless it is a top of the line performance piece it has likely less HP than the M3 too. M3s have over 425 ponies and the Panamera starts at 310 or so. I won't even address which is geared to go. Luxury performance cars aren't necessarily all that quick.

I was reading the post, and thought to myself, for sure, this Mustang would show these wannabes what real power was. Bah! Disappointed.

I was reading the post, and thought to myself, for sure, this Mustang would show these wannabes what real power was. Bah! Disappointed.

dont be, us mustang drivers generally have more sense than eurosnobs do. we know when to run hard and when not to.

That's the ignorant who doesn't see anything but American as being good.

A car guy appreciates all performance cars....and even the style only cars.

That's the ignorant who doesn't see anything but American as being good.

A car guy appreciates all performance cars....and even the style only cars.

oh i appreciate all performance cars, eurosnobs re the ones that think european cars are the only good performance cars in the world. i would love to be able to afford an aston martin DB6.

I think we import more american classics to europe as you americans import european classics into the states.
So....?

It's, for the most part, a friendly rivalry that goes on in the states. The Euro guys pick on the Mustang crowd and vice versa, kind of like the Chevy vs. Ford thing.

my older son's friend has a BMW because he really likes it. He does not like the stigma that comes with owning a BMW. It's one of those stereotypes that isn't always true but more often than not it is. But it's not just European cars. Mike might be able to speak of the "Corvette" crowd...

I went to an open track event with my 65 Mustang and after the first session, two BMW drivers came over to me and asked what I had done to my car. One of them said "You were all over my ass in the corners"
It made my day

I went to an open track event with my 65 Mustang and after the first session, two BMW drivers came over to me and asked what I had done to my car. One of them said "You were all over my ass in the corners"
It made my day

next time tell them its just a stock mustang and then get a pic of their reaction.:D:D

Back