• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Accident. Should I call my insurance or wait?

blu67

Going to the courthouse this morning (F'N Divorce) and traveling on a single lane road that merges into a 2 lane road to make 3 lanes total. We all have our own lane. Just before the "merging" lines on the road turn into a full fledged lane, this stupid chick cuts in front of me and slams on her breaks to make a businesses driveway. No way I could stop in time. Wheels locked up and I slid into her. And she asks, "Where did you come from?" What a way to start the morning......
Both of our cars have modern bumper covers so not much apparent damage to either car. I know there is probably internal damage to the foam or honeycomb within the cover on both of our cars but I'm willing to live with it as is. Nobody was hurt, thank God.
We exchanged insurance info and I took pics of her car bumper, mine and the skids from my car before the legal area of merging. I'm wondering if I should contact my insurance to give them the heads up or wait and see if she makes a claim. I worry that even without a claim made, my insurance rates could go up just by the mere notice that I was involved in an accident and yet I wonder if I should let them know that even though I hit her from behind, she was performing an illegal move. May be important if she does make a claim...
Not sure what to do.
Suggestions?

I probably would have called the police at the time--her story might change. I think I might wait now to see what she does.

make the claim. From your story, you're not at fault. I also believe you are supposed to legally file a claim within 3 days or they may not cover anything.

"opentrackerSteve" said:
make the claim. From your story, you're not at fault. I also believe you are supposed to legally file a claim within 3 days or they may not cover anything.

I agree

Hope you have better luck than us. I think now everyone needs to keep a video on board and some type of voice recording device.

Problem is, you rear-ended her. Without a police report or witnesses, wouldn't you be considered the guilty one? I think that rule sucks. Do you have her number? Maybe it would be better to ask her if she plans on turning it in?

Call and talk with your insurance agent. Talking doesn't cost anything. The only way your rates will go up, is if you file a claim and are at fault.

"66gt350" said:
The only way your rates will go up, is if you file a claim and are at fault.
Even that is not always true. Two accidents (wife and son) and my rates did not change.

Chris:

To clarify, notifying your insurance company is not necessarily the same thing as filing a claim. When I've been involved in a collision where the other party is at fault, I notify my carrier as I am required to do under the terms of my policy and specifically tell them that I am going after the other driver's insurance and am not filing a claim at this time.

If I can settle on my own, I follow up with my carrier and tell them that I consider the matter closed. If the other carrier jerks me around, I turn over the claim to my carrier and subrogate my claim to them. My carrier pays to fix my car less my collision deductible and when they recover from the other side, I get my deductible back.

In the event the other driver believes in revisionist history, my carrier is still contractually obligated to defend me. This actually happened a number of years ago. Long story short, My ex-wife was the#2 car in a 6 car freeway pileup. Driver #3's insurance company acknowledged liability relative to my damage and paid to fix my car. During the following year, I changed insurance companies. One day short of the statute of limitations, I was served with a civil lawsuit brought by driver #3's idiot lawyer for injuries she sustained as a result of being hit by drivers 4, 5 and 6. I turned the lawsuit over to my former carrier and they assigned the case to one of their lawyers who proceeded to have the frivolous lawsuit thrown out. Had I not notified them of the collision in a timely fashion, I might not have had the benefit of "free" legal representation.

Read your policy to see what your contractual obligations are to your carrier regarding notification.

Regards, Jeff

My parents also had an accident. However, they called the doctor instead of the insurance company, wanting to know what to do with me after I was born...

"Midlife" said:
My parents also had an accident. However, they called the doctor instead of the insurance company, wanting to know what to do with me after I was born...

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha ha

"Midlife" said:

"put the baby in a basket and let it float down the Nile...." suggestion didn't work this time????? :wth

You should go and file an accident report with the police, if you file a claim with your insurance co. You'll need a accident report #. She may go to police and file a report and than they have nothing from you, doesn't look good and probably isn't.

Back