• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Adding to the list of faithful companions departed

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Well after such a great weekend of fun with good friends at MBB and beautiful weather, the new week has started on a sad note. Today we had to say goodbye to our oldest dog Sadie. She's been suffering with pretty bad arthritis in her hips for almost a year now but has managed to do reasonably well with diet, exercise and meds. Over the past several years she developed many lumps throughout her body which led to continual monitoring to insure they weren't cancerous. To help with her arthritis her and our young dog were started on a strict diet to loose weight, which they did. Unfortunately Sadie continued losing weight until she was almost skin and bones. A check by the Vet revealed she had lymphoma. The nodes in her neck began to swell as well as others. She began meds for it to which she responded well, but she began drinking large amounts of water and would begin losing control of her bladder (which was due to the meds). After a month the swelling subsided almost completely and the Vet dropped her dosage back. Unfortunately the nodes in her neck returned to swelling, getting larger than originally. This caused her difficulty in breathing and eating due to pressure on her throat. Increasing her meds back had no affect. To alleviate her pain and stress the wife came to the difficult decision to have her put out of her pain and suffering. It was an extremely difficult thing to do. Fortunately for me I hadn't gotten home from work yet when she left for the Vet. My son came by to go with my wife and then accompanied Sadie in with the Vet. My wife couldn't bring herself to go in.

Sadie was an SPCA rescue and a 100% mutt. She was actually supposed to be returned to the SPCA the day after she came home. My wife and daughter had gone by a day prior and had already brought a puppy home! When they came home with Sadie the next day I told them she had to go back, one new dog was enough. Since it was too late in the day, the return was to be made the next day. Well, she was such a cute and loving dog through that night that I caved in and agreed she could stay also. That's been almost 15 years now. While the other dog, Maggie, has been gone from us for a number or years, Sadie remained with us and grew up alongside my children.When they both eventually moved out, she filled the void of not having them around, especially with my wife.

During the long days when everyone was at work or school we got another dog (our young one Bonnie), to keep Sadie company. Bonnie has grown up around Sadie and is now confused as to where she went. She is also visibly depressed. Fortunately my wife and her have found some solace in each other tonight. I know she's in a better place now and no longer suffering. She will indeed be missed by all around here. So long old girl.

sadie1.jpg

Really sorry to hear that. It is indeed a hard decision but usually the right one to end the suffering.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear of your loss of Sadie. She now gets to play in that big dog park upstairs with our Staark, who we lost last November.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 8
Sorry to hear the sad news John, it's never easy to lose a family member. Remember all the fun times!

So sorry for your loss. As long as you remember Sadie she will still be alive.

fd

Thanks a ton guys. The wife had Sadie cremated (a first for one of our pets). Since she meant so much, especially to the wife, I didn't object. When I spoke with her about it her response surprised me. She said she didn't do it to keep Sadie's ashes in an urn. She wants to plant a memorial garden in the yard and place the ashes there.

We had talked about getting a new puppy while Sadie was still alive. When I felt the time was right I addressed the subject last night. For both her and our youngest dog's sake she readily agreed and believed sooner was better than later. I found out this morning at work, she wasn't kidding about sooner! She had been looking for dogs and I assumed she would get another SPCA dog. Nope! I had somewhat jokingly remarked we should get another Brittany (which is what Bonnie is). She found a breeder about an hour away with a new litter ready for sale. Just as I got home from work my wife and daughter were leaving to go to the breeder. We now have a new addition to the house. I know to some it may seem a little insensitive to get another dog so quickly. I already see how quickly it has helped the entire family (Bonnie included). I'll get a pic or two and post in a new thread. The really shocking thing to me is the wife and daughter decided to name her Shelby!

Thanks again everyone!

Back