• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aftermarket EFI conversions

Boom

Donator
I am getting to the point where I need to order the EFI kit to go in the fastback. I am really debating between 3 or4 different options.

First up is Fitech EFI
http://fitechefi.com/

I have a Fitech set-up on the coupe and while it runs pretty well. They were by far the cheapest on the market at the time I ordered it. Its been on the car for over a year and daily driven with only a few issues. They are on my list for 2 different models/verisons. The TBI style is tried and true at around ~$1k, however, they are now coming out with a port style EFI. There isn't much info on this, but it is more expensive at around ~$1800.

The second option I've been looking at is a direct competitor to Fitech, Holley's Sniper EFI:
https://www.holley.com/brands/holley_efi/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/

The Holley unit offers the same overall style and performance of the Fitech in the same price point, while including a few extra features that you have to pay extra for with Fitech.

The last and most expensive option is the nicest sounding to me and it's made by Edelbrock:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/efi/pf3-intro.shtml

The Edelbrock comes with it's own intake and distributor. So I'd have to sell off the basically new ones I currently have. Plus its actually sequential fuel injection which is definitely better then a TBI style. The price is a good bit higher at ~$3200. SUmmit currently hasit on sale for around $2800 and Edelbrock is offering $300 off if bought before June 31st. That drops the kit to about $2500. Still the most expensive option lsisted, but it is a very nice looking set-up.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
brand preference, and the fact it is less expensive than the edelbrock system. also it is easier to install, and as you indicated it has more features than the fitech system.

If it's not a rail type injection, I honestly don't see the advantage imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's not a rail type injection, I honestly don't see the advantage imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Edelbrock and the Fitech Goport (~$1700) both have fuel rails and are Multiport. Thats what I'd prefer over the TBI style.

the biggest advantage is simplicity. the holley bolts on and uses existing intake and other components. in the end it just depends on what you want from the system.

the biggest advantage is simplicity. the holley bolts on and uses existing intake and other components. in the end it just depends on what you want from the system.

That is a great point, I really do like the simplicity of the TBI units, the Fitech I have on the coupe works fine, no major issues. I just can't help but think I am leaving some performance/efficiency on the table with a TBI unit over a sequential multiport set-up.

The Edelbrock kit comes fully assembled, so it's basically swapping an intake and installing a new distributor, not very hard to do. A big advantage I see with that set-up is that everything is designed to work together. The other kits have timing control options and such, but from reading peoples reviews online that option is hardly utilized due to not working well/right without alot of trial and error.

The Edelbrock looks like the old Massflo set-up. I was really leaning that way a few years ago but the price point kept climbing and I would read about issues with tuning, etc. so I never pulled the trigger. At more than double the cost kinda hard to justify in my mind. I don't know that you get such better performance to warrant it. You might save a bit on fuel costs but really is that a concern? Plenty of cars driving around with carbs that can out run just about anything on wheels and a carb is just an old school TBI system.

The price is a very good point. It does seem to be quite a bit more expensive, that's why I've been waiting to see Fitech's Go-port. they finally have it listed on Summit's site as due to release sometime late June. I've called and emailed Fitech about it since December and they always say that it's "only a couple weeks away from release" Not sure what intake they're using with it. The website says Edelbrock, but an email I got says they are sourcing another option.

I'm tempted to get the universal set-up for $1200 and use the EFI version of the Edelbrock Victor intake I have now.

I don't see FiTech using Edelbrock intakes. Chinese knock-offs could slash their cost considerably and, well...they are called knock-offs for a reason. The Chinese don't respect U.S. patent laws at all. Why should they as the World doesn't make them. They could save an easy 70-80% using a Chinese intake, pocket a big chunk and still offer the consumer a hell of a good price. That's what I see happening anyway.

I have been frustrated with the Holley on my 429. I actually have considered the TBI style (not many options for a 429). So I get that a TBI is not much more than a computer controlled carb but is that a bad thing? It can adjust air/fuel ratio and maybe even settle down the idle on my wild cam...
sorry to hyjack the thread! I was also looking at the same systems except the Edelbrock

Well, here's what I've heard: better throttle response, slightly better gas mileage, maybe more HP, easy cold starts and better drive-ability, dead-on A/F ratio, and self tuning. Some have an automatic idle kickup when the AC clutch is engaged. I really need that one. The downside is that when it goes kaput it could be difficult to get parts when on the road, like the Power Tour. That's probably not an issue with a carb. The EFIs need a new fuel system and all things considered are an expensive upgrade. I'm still getting an EFI.

I have the Fitech on my coupe and it works really well. I can't seem to get the idle down where i want it. Might be a vacuum leak somewhere, though. I've hondestly been debating between the Fitech and and the Holley TBI, the Edelbrock set-up is just super sweet.

Megasquirt is supposed to be good and they have a very active forum

Last edited:
A289FI.jpg 1968 FI Walbro pump.jpg I've got the original Edelbrock Pro-Flo back from around 2004 on my '68.
It's fairly easy to tune but IT IS NOT anywhere near as flexible as their current kit.
I've considered upgrading (and they sell a "package" to do just that) but it is pretty
pricey. I don't know what the installation on the new one is like but it was a PITA
to get mine fitted the way the OE would have done it.

I am looking at the Fitech Go-port, but want to use the stand alone set and put it on an Edelbrock Super Vic EFI.

The big thing holding me back is that combo has a combined height of around 9.5" above the block and that doesn't include the aircleaner. Seems awfully tall, I am planning to go with an aftermarket hood made by MTF. It'll have the 68 Shelby style scoop. I've asked on Rich's MTF forum for a way to measure how much clearance that hood provides.

What do you guys think?

Back