• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Alt light comes on in de Boss - fixed, I think

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
It's not 100% consistant but I have seen the ALT light remain on with the motor off and key in off position. I have also seen the
ALT light being on after I walked away from the car when ALT light was for sure off. Any ideas?

Re: Alt light comes on in de Boss

Alternator idiot light requires ACC voltage and a VR signal. With key off, the ACC voltage will be (should be!) zero, so there may be some residual voltage at the Voltage Regulator. I'd change the VR and see if that helps.

Reg problem for sure.
If its the old style large covered one you can take the cover off and use a nail file to clean the contact points.
Old timers trick. If it is the newer style elec type, replace it.

I would agree on the regulator issue. Been a while since I have seen that problem. Just a tap with a hammer will cause the light to go off....verifying the reg. is it.

You need to check the Pharquarzen and make sure it's not hanging on to electrons.

Think I resolved it (hopefully I'm not speaking too early). I was able to make the light come on and off by wiggling the connector to the VR. Cleaned both male and female spade connectors which had plenty of corrosion. So far it hasn't stayed on or come on when it's not suppose to. If it rears it's ugly head again, I'll just replace it.

Back