• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aluminum Welding question

• Thread starter opentrackerSteve
  • Start date
O

opentrackerSteve

I need to find out how best to weld aluminum? TIG? I need to re-weld the drain bung on my Mustang's radiator.

When I had some work done to my aluminum horse trailer, they TIG welded it. I've seen aluminum wire for a MIG welder, but i haven't tried it or heard of anyone who has.

I welded up an aluminum box many years ago using a Lincoln MIG. Had to get a new liner for the machine. It did work, but was not the easiest nor best looking welds. You have to keep the line straight to avoid the alum wire jamming up. A spool gun might have worked better.

My advice would be take it to someone with a TIG and pay them $20.

"silverblueBP" said:
My advice would be take it to someone with a TIG and pay them $20.

That's exactly what I was thinking......

"opentrackerSteve" said:
I need to find out how best to weld aluminum? TIG? I need to re-weld the drain bung on my Mustang's radiator.

Tig. I would only trust mig so far. Unless you have the mig already set up with the spoolgun,I would hunt someone down with a tig and have them do it.With the tig(Providing it has the footpedal) you'll be able to control the heat better and get a cleaner weld.

Yeah just take it to radiator shop that do custom radiators. I had them reweld the bung on my aluminum radiator. It cost around 20 bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back