• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

American Graffiti Museum in Modesto?

While the idea of a car centric museum in Modesto has appeal, is this another pipe dream or has it been well researched and thought out? As a result of the difficulty getting the Mustang Museum built back east, I tend to be skeptical. Hopefully the initial committees have considered these variables:

What are the land/space acquisition costs? (guess or hard numbers?)
Are purchase or option contracts in place? How much, if any, earnest money is at risk?
Where are the zoning and planning issues with the City?
What contingencies need to be satisfied before the contract goes hard?
What is the timetable to close of escrow?
Have the site improvements plans been completed? Do architectural drawings exist?
What is the construction budget?
Where is the construction money coming from?
What is the construction time table?
What is the operating budget once open?
Is it expected that the museum will be self sustaining through box office and gift shop?
If so, details of the revenue /expenses should be in place.
If not, where does the operating deficit come from?

This is actually happening. We have a very strong force (pun intended) here in Modesto that are already putting this together. They are already in contract for the building and the players behind it are well funded car nuts. The guy (aka Mr. Modesto) that led the charge for the Graffiti Walk of Fame downtown, is heading this up. I have no doubt they will make this happen, even if Jeff is a bit of a naysayer (realist?).

Realist yes but if its got backing then it might happen. The problem I see is the demographics for this nostalgia are dwindling fast. Who would go there?
Now make it a restaurant drive-in as the main attraction (good food) and the esthetics of the place would likely draw in a more varied crowd.

Ken:

While enthusiasm counts for a lot in something like this, they are asking for money now with little to no financial information being provided. I am less of a naysayer and more of a "show me how this thing gets funded and stays open". I have seen some extraordinarily ambitious plans wither on the vine because of the disconnect between the dream and the fiscal reality. Essentially, buying the light bulb is the first step. Installing it and paying for electricity into the distant future is something entirely different. In the immortal words of Clara Peller, "Where's the beef?"

Again, it has very deep pockets backing this, so I have all the faith in the world it will open and work out. As for the demo....this is Modesto, a town built around the car culture, a town that sets aside the better part of a month each year to celebrate it (with several car activities every week during that month) a town whose car (classic or otherwise) demo is growing quite well. It may be dying in other parts of the world, we are doing just fine!

But as they say....time will tell.

And that's just it. Once everyone in town goes once they won't make it a weekly thing. And the demographics is shrinking for such things 50-60s. So make it a destination restaurant first wiiiiittthhh a museum attached.
I visited a Harley Dealer in Wisconsin called Docs. First it was a dealer but added on was BBQ,, car museum (small but interesting) and a zoo. I didn't go there because of the dealer. I was told about their BBQ and by the way its at a HD dealer which also has..... Hey why not stop for lunch? If someone just told me about a some small car museum the average traveler isn't going to stop. Even if its based on AG. Go ask a 20-30yo what American Graffiti is (outside of Modesto). See if they know.

Did you miss the part where they plan to build a drive in restaurant alongside the museum? A perfect meeting place for car folks.

I read it. I'm just saying THAT should be the main focus. Make it the drive-in a place to repeatedly go. Meaning good food. Something not expected at a drive-in that looks like AG. Of course provide burgers & fries but it needs to be the place of repeat business. The museum part can grow from that.

I read it. I'm just saying THAT should be the main focus. Make it the drive-in a place to repeatedly go. Meaning good food. Something not expected at a drive-in that looks like AG. Of course provide burgers & fries but it needs to be the place of repeat business. The museum part can grow from that.
If it served 50s food. Elvis fries, big greasy cheeseburgers, Malts and shakes and good fries.

That sort of stuff, not all fusion or Californiaised!

They need car hops and cruise ins with local clubs. Could be a big deal even in Modesto.

A museum on it's own will likely fail. There is no continuing stream of money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok, guy outside CA opinion. I'm not traveling across country to visit this place. Plenty of very similar options (car hop drive-ins, etc.) all over the place and close to home that fill that need. What else does the area feature that might be my primary reason/focus for the trip? If I could make this a point of interest stop while already in the vicinity I'd surely go. Once.

The way I see it the drive-in has to become THE local car guy hang-out spot to give any chance of a continual revenue stream to keep this business viable. I'll type it. I agree with Mike. Every car show I go to around here has an AG coupe and '55. Seen 'em. Done that. Not a big enough draw to go across the country. Love the idea. Believe it can work but it needs some very solid planning behind it. Best thing in it's favor is it being CA so not limited to seasonality like the rest of the world.

Ken:

If the feasibility committee has not already done so, I suggest they look at the Blackhawk (Ken Behring's) Museum and the LeMay in Tacoma to see what sort of sustainable cubic dollars are needed to build these museums, stock them with a string of compelling rotating collections that ties other things together with the cars (For example the "Cars and Guitars" exhibit at the Peterson in L.A. several years ago that included a number of cool pairings such as Cadzilla & Billy Gibbons' guitar) to keep the display fresh and engaging, Staffing them with knowledgeable docents to enhance the visitor experience helps the visitors immerse themselves into the story behind the cars. While this crowd is Mustang centric, my sense is that the Bow Tie Boys outnumber the Blue Oval guys in the Valley. If my hunch is correct, this Museum needs to be a collaborative effort that draws in a wide spectrum of brand loyalists as well as the random "civilian". Key partnerships with tour operators, hotels, and other tourist activities, can expand the pool of prospective visitors. Beyond the Burgers and Shakes, Craft Beers and CenVal wines along with some higher end retail gives travelers more reasons to exit 99 and come into Mo-Town. A vibrant year round social calendar of car centric events give the locals a reason to come out and spend some money.

The expense of a brick and mortar venue is a 24/7 reality. My experience tells me that monetizing everything possible is required for a sustainable effort. I hope the plans for Central Valley "Mo-town" Museum includes running it like a for-profit business.

It could be a lunch stop on the way to Yosemite. Not much to see in Modesto except for Ken's place. And once you've seen one railroad baron's mansion you've seen them all.:D

Back