• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another '68 question--window crank knob?

DeadStang

This '68 I have is falling apart! The blue rubber crank knob fell off the other day. Looks like I need to replace the entire crank, as I can't seem to make the knob stay on?

do they make metal knobs for the 68 or are there billet cranks and knobs i can buy becasue i have the same problem and ended up just buying some 67's that hit my knee when the windows up :-\

For '68 cars, the colored "rubber" knob is held onto the metal crank with a special "push" type fastener.... almost like a metal version of a plastic xmas tree used on a late model car to hold a door panel on.

When you buy a new knob for your '68, it'll come with this special fastener. To install the fastener, lay the knob on the workbench over a towel..... place the crank over the knob..... place the fastener into the backside of the crank and into the knob..... with a hammer, gently tap the fastener into the knob.

To prevent the knobs crank from hitting your knee when the window is rolled all the way up/down.... remove the screw holding the crank onto the regulator and reposition the crank finding that "sweet spot" where the knob doesn't hit your knee in either position.

65, 66 and 67 cranks will work on your regulator..... they won't be "correct" for the car, but they'll screw on okay.

It's been 20+ years since I have had any 67's. If I remember correctly, mine was held on by a spring clip. Like I said, 20+ years and oh yeah, lots of beer and drugs :p so I could be imagining that.

held on by a spring clip

Are you referring to the crank handle onto the regulator? As far as I know, the cranks held on with a screw for 64.5 - 68 cars. I can't remember '69-73, but I believe them to be held on with a screw also.

Or are you referring to the knob onto the crank?

My '67 knobs are held on with a screw. Well, one of them is. My p-side regulator didn't come with a screw, and my old one is too small, so that one I kinda just slapped on there for now...

In '68 they changed the door handles and window cranks for safety reasons. The window cranks were required to be of a 'break off' design in case of a collision. My metal '67 knobs already do quite a bit of damage to your knees if you don't pay attention to where they are. I'm sure in a collision they'd manage to do plenty more. Fortunately I have other things to worry about in a collision, like my steering column impaling me...

Back