• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another Electrical Issue - Dang you Midlife!

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Driving home last night, I noticed, I did not have turn signals. The lights work, just do not blink. Check fuse - OK. The trunsignal lights on the hood are not on either.

Whats next, switch, blinker relay, ...? How do I test the current relay?

"janschutz" said:
Driving home last night, I noticed, I did not have turn signals. The lights work, just do not blink. Check fuse - OK. The trunsignal lights on the hood are not on either.

Whats next, switch, blinker relay, ...? How do I test the current relay?
Pop in a new relay and you should be good to go. You need a spare on hand anyway (should this not be the problem).

Yep...if the lights are coming on bright, then put in a new flasher can....they have heavy duty ones too. Not even worth testing or messing with unless you want to keep an original one in the car.....

Just in case......If sequential.....call the company and get a new one....they should not go bad.....and check the ground if the electronic unit has one.

"Fast68back" said:
I bet he has the fancy mustang project taillights and they use the modern flasher...
They are not on this Mustang, They are from a different vendor and use the stock relay.

I predict the flasher can is bad or you have a bulb out on each side.

Or...your eyes are blinking at the same rate as the flasher...

"Shrinkdude" said:
I think you are low on blinker fluid. Fill it back up and it should be fine :roll
I wish that was so. :shrug

I replaced the blinker relay and it did not fix the issue. Hope I can trace the circuit tonight.

Next step is to determine which bulb is out. Simply put the key in ACC, turn signal left, and go around and look at the various bulbs. Then do the same for right side. It also may be a ground problem. Final potential problem is a bad turn signal switch.

Finally found it, I had a disconnected the power wire to the flasher unit that was under the dash. I must have accidentally pulled it loose when I was working on the cig. lighter assembly.

Now onto the next item on my list, a burn out tail light bulb. Since they have a sequential setup with 3 bulbs, I will have to disassemble the whole taillight assembly to replace it.

Back