• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another "New" Guy...

jdg303

Hello All,

I'm NOT New to Classic Mustangs, just new to this forum. My first car was a '67 A Code convertible I bought in North Carolina back in 1978. I'm now back home in Northern California with my '69 428CJ Mach I and a '65 Fastback I'm trying to finish up.

The next step for the '65 is a disk brake conversion (4 wheel drum now). I have it narrowed down to either a Baer SS4+ 11" Front with the 10.50" Single piston Classic Rear, or the Wilwood Dynapro Dust-Boot Pro Series 11" Front with the Dynapro Low-Profile Parking Brake Rear. The Limiting factors are I need a Parking Brake for a Manual Transmission car and 15" Torq Thrust D Wheels.

Your Thoughts? Cheers, --- Jim

Hi , new guy.
Regarding restoring your 65 fastback.
When It comes to brakes its always good to know your overall plan with the car.
How much power do you want for the car ? Depending on the powerplant , you choose your suspension and brake system.
Big power , tight suspension , big brakes.
Do you want a more modest powerplant , you choose the suspension and brake system accordenly.
The setup you mention on brakes suspect a serious powerplant , right ?
Whats the overall plan for this car ?

Oh , BTW, welcome to the fix.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

As Bruno stated, tell us what you want out of the car and we’ll gladly spend your money.

Dan @chockostang can provide stock type front discs and save some $$.

You can go with the big Lincoln brakes and spend a lot more $$

Thank You For Responding,
1965 Fastback, 347. Fairly aggressive cam, Windsor JR Heads (1.94x1.60), 9.7 to 1 compression. Edelbrock Performer RPM & Ancient Holley 650 DP Carb. Mac Products Headers, 2.5" MagnaFlo Exhaust & Mufflers with H-Pipe. Tremec 5 speed & 3.70 9" Rear. 15" Torq Thrust D Wheels and some Conti Control Contact Plus 215 55 15 Tires. It's basically a Street Car with an occasional visit to the strip.

Thanks Again, --- Jim

I'm a Wilwood guy. Put manual 4 wheel disc on my 65. Basically the bits you mention although did mine some time ago so minor differences maybe. Excellent stopping power with not a ton of pedal effort. All a matter of getting your pedal ratio right and correctly sizing your master cylinder. I run a pretty aggressive cam so not a whole lot of vacuum available which is why I went manual.

Welcome to the fix. Sorry for being slow to welcome, I currently in Covid Jail and taking it eazy. Ask many questions, there are a lot of guys with great knowledge there. We are just getting old and slow.

Welcome to the fix. Sorry for being slow to welcome, I currently in Covid Jail and taking it eazy. Ask many questions, there are a lot of guys with great knowledge there. We are just getting old and slow.

Welcome to a much smaller gathering of Mustangers. More friendly than other places I have heard of....;)

Hey John I resent that statement....I'm just now getting old...I've always been slow.:p

Welcome aboard

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm a Wilwood guy. Put manual 4 wheel disc on my 65. Basically the bits you mention although did mine some time ago so minor differences maybe. Excellent stopping power with not a ton of pedal effort. All a matter of getting your pedal ratio right and correctly sizing your master cylinder. I run a pretty aggressive cam so not a whole lot of vacuum available which is why I went manual.
Thank You for the validation. I did go with Wilwood. Now I get to wait for Wilwood to "Catch Up". The front brake kit won't ship until June...

Caught the "Bat Fever" myself back in 2020. I hope you are feeling better by now (my slow response...)

Back