• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any tips on getting surgical with the floor

abrahamfh

I started cutting away at Fred's LS front floor and before I got too close to where the cutting really counts, I thought I should ask all of you how you increase the cutting accuracy to facilitate fitment and welding of the new piece.

Any specific tool or attachment? (for example: smaller cutting wheel on a drill as opposed to a cutting wheel on a 4-1/2" angle grinder.)

Any tips or tricks? (for example: placing the new piece where it's going to go and tracing the outline with a grease pen.)

Thanks again for helping me out with my elementary questions.

9be73206.jpg

Are you doing the seat risers too? On the rocker side, I cut the floor close to the edge ~1/2=1" then split the spot welds with an air hammer. The tunnel side, laid the floor pan in... trimming and cutting small bits until it set well, marked the edge with a scribe and then cut the tunnel until I had a small overlap. Not too concerned about rusting in between the overlap as the car is inside and not likely to see much rain even when it's done...

Back