• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone have Old Air products AC in a 67/68?

Let's try this again... I thought I'd already submitted a response to this inquiry?

I bought the Old Air Products kit (pictured) for my sons 68. After partially installing the kit, I changed my mind and boxed everything back up and sold it. I used a Classic Air kit instead.

To answer your question, I believe both kits use very similar (if not identical) heater boxes and do hang low as pictured.

The Old Air kit had some things I wasn't pleased with.

Both the Classic Air and Old Air kits are designed to install AC into non-factory AC cars. You're required to use your heater control panel to control (turn on) the AC. Somewhere between "heat" and "defrost" activates a microswitch that kicks the AC compressor on.... kinda lame IMO. Both kits come with little cheesy ABS plastic vents that screw onto the lower lip of the dash to mount the left and right diffusers.... again, not too thrilled with that.

The Classic Air kit can be augmented with an auxillary kit enabling the use of the factory AC control panel. With the factory AC control panel, you get the left diffuser as its' part of the panel. You'll need to buy a right side AC panel also. These panels up until recently have been unobtainable with no aftermarket support, but a company is now making new repops of both these panels.

The Old Air kit also comes with high and low pressure lines that are not pre-terminated at the firewall end. You'll have to route, measure and then remove and have the end fittings crimped on by a hose shop. The Classic Air kit uses hoses that are "plug and play".

Both kits were well put together, I just didn't like the idea of using a non AC heater control panel to operate the AC. I wanted it to look as "original" as possible.... on his Eleanor car....

I have the Old Air system in my fastback, but I don't think the box is that low. However, I also have their smallest box because there wasn't much room with all the wiring hidden up in that location. I'm not using their vents or controls, either.

Back