• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone paint or powder coat window trim, vent and quarter window frames?

RyanG85

On my 65 Restomod project, I'm considering painting or power coating the window trim and vent and quarter window frames. The frames are in need of replating anyways so I'm considering going body color or black on them. Anyone done this? Any pros or cons to doing this? Thanks.

i've painted alot of chrome parts on bikes over the years. make sure the chrome is roughed up a little in the bead blaster, then a coat of epoxy or etch primer & you're good to go.

I had a fare pair of vent window frames powdercoated silver chrome. The stainless piece was supposed to be masked off but the guy doing them forgot. At least the inner portion of the stainless should remain free of coating because the vent window lock contacts that piece.
He aslo clear coated them after powdercoating which subdued the look... he recoated them and then it lifted on the inside a little.
If you do coat them, stay away from the chrome like coatings as they dull if left unprotected... Black would probably be fine though.

vent_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly I sanded them with something like 220 grit... It was a 3 or 4 years ago that I did them...

Back