• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone use Body Panel Adhesive?

Havok1

So, work on Phoenix has been slow, mainly due to distance from the car, having a new baby, and being lazy. I'm hoping to get some time in this weekend. I've been meaning to write this for a while but haven't gotten around to it. Some people may want to burn me at the stake when I suggest this, but I thought it might be a feasible, modern alternative.

While researching welding and body work, I talked with some body guys who use body panel adhesives. This is most body work on new cars is done with. It was explained to me that it is an industry standard now and that it works just as well as welding if done properly. So I ended up buying this brand of product:

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/FusorAutomotiveAftermarketProducts/Products/MetalAdhesives/tabid/3400/Default.aspx

So far, we used it on the floor panels. The panels were fitted, then tacked on the door side. Then we used the panel adhesive on the tunnel side with a sheet metal screw to hold it in place until the adhesive dried. We'll end up going back and tacking that side with the welder too, but I wanted to see if anyone else has contemplated using this stuff or has with good or bad results. I like the fact that it takes some of the technical welding out of the picture as I'm not proficient at it. Alright, so lets hear it.

B

My opinion.

I have not researched this at all, but my thoughts are that a body panel adhesive would be great to install trim items such as side scoops, deck spoilers, hood scoops or fender flares.... aka Eleanor type cars, but not structural pieces of a uni-body car... which is pretty much everything else on the car.

Does your Dad's shop have air conditioning? It's getting awfully hot around here these days. I'm motivated to do nothing but sit on the couch after work.

I'm with Dave on this one. Anything that has flex in it such as a uni-body structure, I'd rather weld. They claim the adhesive is as strong as a weld but I'm not sure how well it works in twisting situations. I doubt it will give you any trouble as long as you have some areas welded.

I've used Fusor in a couple of patch panel applications that precluded me from welding. It's neat stuff!

i've used the FUSOR structural adhesive along with the similar adhesive from SEM on numerous projects & also sat in on tests & classes on the proper prep & use. if prepped & used properly, it is as strong if not stronger than a weld. more surface area is contacted by the adhesive than a weld. the tests i sat in on were conducted on a body shop frame machine where two panels were welded together & two glued with adhesive. they were attached to the puller & stretched until they broke. the welded panel tore where it was welded, the glued panel ended up shearing apart at one of the clamped edges.
do i use it on everything? no. as it's more cost effective to weld as the adhesive is expensive, but it works great for certain projects. i glued the steel "B" pillars into the 37 delivery as there wasn't really a good point to weld them in properly. i do use the 2 part SEM seam sealer exclusively. after you use it, you will never want to use the old "caulking tube" type sealer again.

I saw a build on one of the tv shows, muscle car, chop cut rebuild, something and they used some. I think it was muscle car when they skinned the roof of that dynacorn FB they built. They used an adhesive and said it was as good or as strong.

if you had the welder to tack the panels but didnt have the skill to finish weld, then use 3,000,000 tack welds then the adhesive as a finish filler.
I think that the adhesive and modern vehicle design go hand in hand, but you dont have modern vehicle design

"Fast68back" said:
I saw a build on one of the tv shows, muscle car, chop cut rebuild, something and they used some. I think it was muscle car when they skinned the roof of that dynacorn FB they built. They used an adhesive and said it was as good or as strong.

Just saw that episode this past weekend. It was Muscle Car, and it was the Edelbrock Mustang they are giving away. They said it was structurally fine for a uni-body car.

Never used the body panel adhesives, but our mechanics at work use some structural epoxies in repairs, and I'm always amazed at how strong they are - even under bending/twisting movements. I saw one shaft transferring 150 hp repaired this way - ran in start / stop / high vibration operation for two weeks until the new part arrived. So, it would not surprised me to find these are as strong as a weld if properly applied.

"70_Fastback" said:
How much metal lap do you have to have for contact area for the adhesive??

if i remember correctly, 1/4"-3/8" is plenty. the saturns have had their body panels glued together since day one. lots of the newer cars are using it more than you would think.

Well, I'm glad that at least some have used and seen the capabilities of the stuff. I don't mind trying a new way of doing things. I don't plan on using it exclusely, but I will probably integrate it into the body work. At least its not :nick right? :lol

I used it quite a bit on my car. I used Norton SpeedGrip available at NAPA. Convertibles don't rely on the body for structural support nearly as much as coupes and FB's, do, so you have more places you can use it.

I glued my LR quarter on, my taillight panel, my lower and upper cowl, and to some extent, my front floor patches.

In each case, I have some supplementary support - either screws or tack welds, but not much. I find screws to work wonderfully to both locate and clamp the pieces together. You can't get clamps everywhere...

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
if i remember correctly, 1/4"-3/8" is plenty. the saturns have had their body panels glued together since day one. lots of the newer cars are using it more than you would think.

But aren't most Saturn body panels all plastic??

the roof, hood & deck lid were steel with the doors, fenders & qtrs being bolt on plastic parts. alot of roof structural supports were glued on those cars too. always hated working on those things....

Back