• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aod help

RapidRabbit

Donator
Ok guys. I need some ideas

As some of you know I'm trying to get EFI aod swap buttoned up.

The car is running great and does drive now, but there still are a few issues keeping it off the roads.

The transmission is still not cooperating. It won't fully engage park and needs to be in a weird spot on the shifter to start it. I don't won't it rolling off while it is parked.

Dropped the pan and removed shift linkage and it still won't fully go into park. Everything seems right inside.

I was thinking maybe the neutral safety switch but that checked out fine.

The other issue is it seems to shudder and has wheel hop on the right rear. The springs are not that old but it didn't hop before the swap.

Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

so it won't shift into park even with the linkage to the shifter disconnected? and you tried that when the pan was off?

Yup. Pan was removed and linkage was all removed and we could not get it to engage the parking pawl.

Last edited:
oh okay, that makes more sense as why your puzzled.
So I'm guessing the car will roll, meaning the rod that goes from the valve body doesn't engage the pawl?
When did this first become an issue? could that rod have been damaged or bent somehow? Did the shop have any reason to have removed the valve body?

the pawl is held from engaging by a spring. The rod has a tapered fat end that pushes the pawl into the gear/spline. The pawl goes thru the case. Something must be preventing that pawl from engaging.
52.jpg
53.jpg

So, the shop did not remove the valve body, but a previous owner put in a shift kit. But says it shifted and drove fine.

This is the first time the car has been running since it was installed so I haven't put any miles on the trans.

It will shift into gear and drive, but when you start it it sort of slips into reverse if your not careful and starts backing up.

Last edited:
I think you gonna have to remove the valve body and see if the former owner did it install correctly wow pawl , spring ect.
and clickclickracing has good info.

Back