• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Are all weed whackers POS?

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
After mowing the rear lawn Wednesday in hopes of running over the snake that SWMBO saw, she demanded that I weed-whack the edges and rear garden before she or the dogs could venture outside. In fact, she was very proud of the fact that she went to the mailbox on Friday, despite the fact that the entire route is on concrete. :-\

I got the electric weed-whacker out, and proceeded to cut down the 2-3" grass along the fence. The string started out, and wrapped around the motor shaft and promptly went into a knot. I could not undo the knot, nor cut the string, nor remove the head to undo the knot. At this time, I decided to remove the weed-whacker into the trash can, where it belongs. I blame AZPete for its failure.

I've never had one of these things last more than one year, and constantly buy new ones. This is most unsatisfactory in my mind: they are all crap. Last year, I bought a 4-cycle version from Sears, and finished the job with the non-electric version. It's a heavy SOB, though.

Meanwhile, no sign of the snake. SWMBO said that if she ever saw a snake in the house, she would immediately leave Panama City never to come back. Anyone have a rubber snake made out like a diamond-back?

Get a goat.....or a sheep. :rof

I have a wooden reticulated snake that looks like a diamondback. :naughty

I was no where near the place today.....

Yes, they are all crap. Hire it done and no problem with bad tools then. This also gives more time to you for car things.

You keep feeding them and they will get into the house before you know it.

I've never, ever had a problem with an electric wheed whacker, and I've been using them since I was 10. We've always bought the ones that feed when you smack them on the ground. Not a fan of the auto-feed units at all.

The only problem I've had with the gas ones is that they can be a PITA to start sometimes.

I cannot believe that a man in our hobby would own an electric yard tool. :wtf2 That is embarrassing. Get a Stihl and never look back. ;D

When a) your yard extends less than 25 feet from the nearest exterior wall, and b) you're having a 10yr old do the job, there's nothing wrong with an electric weed whacker. It's MUCH lighter and easier to handle than a gas powered unit, and it actually stops spinning when you let go of the trigger. It's also less finicky than something with a gas motor. Likewise, my mom has an electric hedge trimmer which works great. It's very light and is easy to use with one hand if the need arises.

I used a 2-stroke powered weed whacker at my dad's place, which sits on about half an acre, so no way you're going to get away with an electric there. It worked great when it started, but my shoulder would be dead by the time I was done, and my hands felt like they were vibrating for the next two days.

I'd still buy a (good) electric if I had a small yard space. The only disadvantage is cord length. If you don't have a cord long enough...well, that sounds like a personal problem:p

Bah. I've just bought a new pair of scissors and a machete. Between the two of these new tools, I don't have to rely upon 'lectricity or gas. In fact, I've just gone green!

Back