• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Are you organized?

lethal289

The way i store my tools, in an old desk just isn't working anymore. Im thinking of getting a big tool box, and was wondering what you guys are using to stary organized. Can you post up some pics of what organized tool storage looks like? How do you keep your sockets organized and convenient for when you need them? Thanks

I mounted peg board on two of the walls of the garage for haning up anything that wouldn't fit into the 2 tool chests I've got. Also have 3 shelving units crammed in there as well.
As for sockets and such, I just left them in the plastic packaging they came in. The tool chests have rubber matting in the drawers to keep things from rattling around. It's far from organized, which I need to go out and straighten out, but it works. I'll add some pics when I get it sorted out, but the garage is a hot mess right now.

For tool storage, I bought a large rolling tool box from Costco. It's pretty good quality for a good price (stainless steel, ball bearing drawers, ~$750). Then, I lined it with a non-skid matt.
293495LL.jpg

For my sockets I just use these snap on holders. I like them, because I can easily grab a group of sockets instead of grabbing individual sockets.

Also, I installed a lot of peg board around my work bench, where I hang lots of hand tools and assorted parts.

"lethal289" said:
Thanks guys, keep it comming!

You have pictures of everything. So post em....

I practice organized disorganization. You want no part of that. Save that for your CRS days.

This is my disaster area. I use a craftsman rolling tool chest for all my hand tools. A generic metal cabinet for all my power tools.
Then I have a 6 ft workbench (that ends being full of crap when ever I need to use it) and peg board for the larger stuff with cabinets above. And my new engine shoved under the bench too.
DSC01132.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"lethal289" said:
You have pictures of everything. So post em....

You see that black thing in front of the Boss, 80% of what he owns is in the top two drawers.... There is another 5% on top of it, 5% in a box, under his welding gloves, 5% in the back of the Tahoe and the other 5% (the stuff I was looking for) is unaccounted for......

2_15_08_09_8_17_48_0.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
You see that black thing in front of the Boss, 80% of what he owns is in the top two drawers.... There is another 5% on top of it, 5% in a box, under his welding gloves, 5% in the back of the Tahoe and the other 5% (the stuff I was looking for) is unaccounted for......

2_15_08_09_8_17_48_0.jpg

Yep. And now you can add in a disassembled 69 Mach1, leaving 3/4 inch of work space.

"Sluggo" said:
Yep. And now you can add in a disassembled 69 Mach1, leaving 3/4 inch of work space.

Man, I hope you didnt lose that sweet members only jacket in all that mess...

"Fast68back" said:
Man, I hope you didnt lose that sweet members only jacket in all that mess...

The one you conveniently "forgot"? I hung it up next to my chopper pilot "chicken plate" so it's handy next time you are over.

A couple of my roll-aways!
Tools1.JPG

To organize my tools, I use cardboard and wood dowels. If the cardboard get messy or I want to rearrange, I just make a new piece for the drawer.
Tools0.JPG

"Fast68back" said:
Did you get the free beer koozie with all those snap-on tools? Very nice, very jealous too...

Hehe, no, but I do get a generous discount with my local Snap-On guy. Although, a large percentage of my tools were bought used, including the roll-cab.

I bought my rollaway from Harbor freight and a side cabinet a couple years ago, then a work bench from Grainger. I recently took a day to put things where they belong(or close to where they belong), then put this simple shelf up and that really cleared my workbench! I'd like the matching top tool chest, but I think I'd miss the top work area! I just know all flat surfaces resembling a table soon become cluttered and difficult to clear! Since my stang is getting closer to being together, my garage is easier to keep clean(er). I do know that when I can find a particular tool quickly, I get things done quickly with much less frustration :craz.
Of course little Rhea helps me stay organized! She's so cute!
agarage1.jpg

agarage.jpg

"caspian65" said:
These pics are from a few years ago, but give you something to ponder. I've added a few more here and there...

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/tools/

:wor Holy Cow, you have a lot of tools. Charles, Do you run a professional garage, or is your mustang expertise just a hobby?? Im very jealous, but you need to organize this drawer a bit! :wtf

tools%20012.jpg

Back