• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

arghhh.

cmanf

A friend just dropped about 30 k on a awesome 69 z28 dz car it is orignal 302 and 4 speed.
So I worked on it all day instead of my mustang.

Not a mustang but is a sweet ride. We spent all day chasing down a suspension problem.
The driverside rear was sitting lower than the pass side and causing tire to rub.
I lifted it back up found all the hardware loose.
the u bolts were lose the spring eyebolts were finger loose.
No lock washers were used anyplace so I put some on. Dont know if cheby put them on factory or not but I did.

After picking it up a few times and sitting it back down tighten everything and it still sank back down.
It has what looks to be new QA1 shocks on there so I pulled the saggy side and it seemed stiff and firm.

Got the height adjusted and it sat back down again after driving it.
I noticed by picking up from the center of the chunk the left side always went up 1st.
My best guess @ this point is the leafspring on the driverside is bad.
Any ideas?

I don't recall if chevys have an offset in the rear like fords do. I think so. Either way I would not use one axle coming up before the other as a diagnostic aid.

You could also be high on the opposite front.

Make sure there is nothing interfering with the shackle's rotation (like an exhaust hanger)
Pull the shocks off all the way around and see if it changes. Shocks should have no effect on ride height.....but, if you have one with a bent shaft it will bind and cause silly shit to happen. I'd pull one at a time so if something changes you know who the culprit was.

That done, you're looking at springs or a twisted unibody.

Thanks guys,
The last camaro I had was a 74 and 20+ years ago.
It did the same thing but it was air shock leak down.
My next move is taking off both rear shocks and see how it sits then.
Thanks for the one at a time tip.
I have only messed with the driver side the other side was tight but everything on the left side was no kidding finger loose!
We took the load off the springs the right side the tire touched the ground but had to push the left side down to match.
Once I sat the car back down tightened everything and drove it a min and it would sink again.
Went thru this twice.
I didnt think about twisted body. the driver door lines up kinda odd. Hope thats not the case.
This is a very nice car.

Did you loosen the right side up to see if it would settle?
Leaf springs have to be weighted before you tighten them.

Back