• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Artemis launch

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Did anyone watch the launch of our next program?

That thing is big and powerful. A local connection for me is that my neighbor is a NASA engineer and has a satellite aboard the capsule. Its to study growth affect in deep space. He is the flight manager for the program. He actually brought a model (full scale) home one day and showed me. About the size of a old VCR which will have solar panels unfold from it. It will be launched enroute I think he said. It has compressed gas for direction correction. He's at NASA Ames now for a few days while its is in the initial stages of his effort.

On to the moon.

Didn't know it would launch today. Saw it now on youtube.
Interesting having someone who knows a bit more then us about that project "Artemis 1 ".
First a few unmanned launches and then with a crew ??

So the politically motivated hunk of space junk with 30 year old hardware finally made it off the ground?? It uses Space Shuttle hydrogen fired engines and the Shuttles solid rocket boosters. Maybe now they will finally give Spacex's Starship the OK to launch. Spacex has been embarrassing the hell out of them. If you want to see real innovation watch the upper stage of Starship take off and land. The FAA has been holding back the launch of the entire rocket until the SLS finally struggled to get off the ground after years of delays and billions in cost overruns. If Starship (a totally reusable rocket) works out, it will cost about 1/10 of the SLS.

Last edited:
Yeah!! I had to go see it on Youtube. Impressive fireworks. For a short time I believe that may be the most powerful rocket ever successfully launched, but if Starship works, it will be a lot bigger.
Artemis has been in development for 11 years, and Starship for a little over 3 years.

Last edited:
While I love all things space related, I have not been following this that closely. What sets it apart from everything that Spacex has been doing? I mean currently Spacex continually puts astronauts on the ISS, have had many launch and safe landings of their booster stage and heck even put a roadster into orbit. I am not knocking the event, but when I search it I am severely disappointed with the reasons why it is supposed to be so monumental.

While I love all things space related, I have not been following this that closely. What sets it apart from everything that Spacex has been doing? I mean currently Spacex continually puts astronauts on the ISS, have had many launch and safe landings of their booster stage and heck even put a roadster into orbit. I am not knocking the event, but when I search it I am severely disappointed with the reasons why it is supposed to be so monumental.
Weeellllll, its government vrs private industry, so of course they have to spend too much and spread the money around politically, and NASA can't be seen to fail. Musk tests to destruction. If he blows up rockets (and he does) he learns something. The FAA has slowed down Starship development, but to be fair Musk is starting to take less risks because a fully stacked Starship will have more explosive force that anything previously built in history save for nuclear weapons. Musk doesn't want to blow up his launch tower because it would take him 6 months to rebuild, so they are working up to the launch with uncharacteristic caution.
On the plus side for NASA, this launch will test a new untried orbit around the moon and some of the hardware for a return to the moon. EDIT: I got this mixed-up, Orion will be back from the moon on 11/21. It is the Capstone satellite that will test the new orbit. Spacex has a finger in that pie too, with a contract to build the moon rocket:

Last edited:
I heard somewhere they (NASA) had also to test the heatshield on the next flight or so ???
But isn't that technology not the same as 50 years ago ??
Has the atmosphere changed ?? Due to climate change ?? o_O

Nasa is like Robocop 2 where he ends up with so many conflicting directives that he can't perform his core function.

And there you have the hate. Sad.

All I was posting about was the US back in the space business and it was taken to become a hate post. As I said predictable.

And there you have the hate. Sad.

All I was posting about was the US back in the space business and it was taken to become a hate post. As I said predictable.
Geez, Mike. For an old Chicago guy you sure have a hard time picking up on the sarcasm.

Back