• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Auto Trans temp

tarafied1

So some of ya'll may know about the saga of my C6. For those that don't, the short version is:
A couple years ago the low/reverse one-way sprag failed on the Power Tour. Dropped trans and replaced all that. Then last year on the Power Tour (PT), the trans began to overheat. I determined it was the torque converter. Pulled it, cut it open and indeed the sprag in that was failing also. So I replaced it. This year I was planning to do the PT and decided to make a shake down run to Atlanta (a work trip). The gauge indicated the trans was running hot just South of Nashville (a little over an hour from home). Basically I turned around and went back home. Temp peaked at 240. I never experienced any actual symptoms of the trans overheating this time. So I am thinking the sending unit or gauge is now failing. It may have been inaccurate before but it did indicate heat that was high and I confirmed issues. So I believe it was a good indicator. But know I don't trust it because I have no problems and I have had the whole trans apart and everything is good. Replaced trans cooler with larger one, flushed everything. Fluid is clean and smells fine, etc. etc.
So I bought some test strips that change color as they reach a given temp. Took the car for a drive today with a strip on the tran pan by the sender. Temp only reached 180. I think my gauge or sender is bad!
But I am swapping to a TKO anyway
IMG_4265a.jpg
IMG_4263a.jpg

That would suck if it was a bad sender/gauge all along... but it allowed you to finally make the push for a man stick lol.

He's not fooling me. Been around too long and heard too many tales from him. I know what he's up to. Time and again stuff has "happened" and after watching him toil for a while Tara steps in and gives him the go ahead to spend some money and upgrade whatever it was that had been causing him the "problem". This was all just a long, elaborate ruse to get her to sign off on the switch to the TKO. Well played, Craig. Well played.

I think you'll find that pan temp is going to be significantly lower than the fluid after it has been run through the pump. It'd be interesting to install that temp test strip lengthwise on the pressure line to the cooler....

I think you'll find that pan temp is going to be significantly lower than the fluid after it has been run through the pump. It'd be interesting to install that temp test strip lengthwise on the pressure line to the cooler....
I did put one on the bottom of the radiator, not quite the same as the line but if i recall correctly it was reasonable temp reading. My trans line run thru rad first and then the extra trans cooler then back to trans. But if I ever get time to work on it the C6 is coming out!

Back