• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Autometer gauges wiring for a 67

David67

I am in the process of making my own bezel with autometer gauges and the part it kinda of confusing is the wiring. Trying to figure out how to get it to work with my 67 gauge wiring harness. I would like to make it plug and play for me.

Thanks for your help.

David,
Though I have now done two Autometer installs in both Red and Shag, I've used Painless wiring. I can't see too many issues except that in most cases with the Autometer gauges there are 3 posts in the back (Sending, Ground & power). Each gauge is fed with 12volts so you would not use the stock voltage reducer.

In addition each gauge has it's own light whereas the stock gauges do not have their own light but some crappy light bulb nearby. So connecting the stock light wiring to each gauge is one obstacle.

I think hooking up the signal wires shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you might be introducing a gauge to your bezel which you didn't have before.

Grounding each gauge shouldn't be a big issue.

Power to each gauge might be a challenge. Run a major wire off the ignition switch and branch off it to feed each gauge.

I believe you run a fuse between the ignition switch and the power wires.

Maybe Midlife will chime and and set me straight for I'm just quickly trying to remember what I've had to do before without too much thought.

Craig

"cmayna" said:
David,
Though I have now done two Autometer installs in both Red and Shag, I've used Painless wiring. I can't see too many issues except that in most cases with the Autometer gauges there are 3 posts in the back (Sending, Ground & power). Each gauge is fed with 12volts so you would not use the stock voltage reducer.

In addition each gauge has it's own light whereas the stock gauges do not have their own light but some crappy light bulb nearby. So connecting the stock light wiring to each gauge is one obstacle.

I think hooking up the signal wires shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you might be introducing a gauge to your bezel which you didn't have before.

Grounding each gauge shouldn't be a big issue.

Power to each gauge might be a challenge. Run a major wire off the ignition switch and branch off it to feed each gauge.

I believe you run a fuse between the ignition switch and the power wires.

Maybe Midlife will chime and and set me straight for I'm just quickly trying to remember what I've had to do before without too much thought.

Craig

Sounds about right.

Back