• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

axle removal

carefact0rzero

so i'm pulling the axles to get new bearings pressed on. the pass. side came out nice and easy, but the driver side isn't budging. i flipped the brake drum over and tried using that to pull it, and even took that off and tried to use the wheel, i figured the weight behind that would slide that freakin' axle out. but no luck. anybody have some suggestions on getting that thing out? i read about using a slide hammer but that's pretty much the same thing i was doing with the drum/ wheel...

Well, you've tried all of the usual tricks I'm aware of. That sucker sounds like it's in there pretty tight. I'm betting that a LARGE slidehammer would have a greater effect than the brake drum tire method though.... AutoZone has a "loan a tool" slidehammer that would probably do the trick.

Didn't use any PB or heat. Just tapped around the housing where the bearing resides and then used the slide hammer. Came right out.

Theoretically, if you have one side and the 3rd member out already, you could insert a long rod and a BFH to drive it out, just be careful not to mushroom the end of the stuck axle.

Theoretically, if you have one side and the 3rd member out already, you could insert a long rod and a BFH to drive it out, just be careful not to mushroom the end of the stuck axle.

Theoretically, if one axle is still installed, HTF can the 3rd member come out? Is this even possible? I wouldn't think that the 3rd member could slide over enough to disengage from the axle.... I've never tried it before, but it just doesn't seem possible. Has anyone done this (and not in theory)?

"daveSanborn" said:

Theoretically, if one axle is still installed, HTF can the 3rd member come out? Is this even possible? I wouldn't think that the 3rd member could slide over enough to disengage from the axle.... I've never tried it before, but it just doesn't seem possible. Has anyone done this (and not in theory)?

oppps, I thought we were talking 12 bolt............my bad

got a slide hammer this morning, after trying so freakin' hard yesterday that thing came out with a light tap with that hammer... would have put it together today but while i'm in there... decided to get the drum backing plates/ drums and axle retainer plate powdercoated (for free too!) so it's going back together friday. thanks for the help

"Fast68back" said:
"daveSanborn" said:

oppps, I thought we were talking 12 bolt............my bad

12 Bolt? WTF is a 12 bolt? Is that some kinda foreign car rear end?

Back