• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

[b]Lifter postion for Rollerlifters[/b]

twinturbo

Hey has anyone ever thought about the postion of the oil bleed hole
while putting your Roller Liffters in your block? I always turn mine so the hole is to the valley. Reason oil will run to lower side of lifter as it is in operation.

Re: Lifter postion for Rollerlifters

Doesn't matter. The lifters are supposed to rotate during operation to provide even wear.

I've never really given it any thought, and always just dropped them in. I'd be interested to see if Ford put them in that way, although I can't imagine it makes much difference.

I tore down a '97 roller lifter 5.0 that seems to have been from the factory, judging by the gaskets used, etc. Since I'd never done a roller lifter engine before, I paid close attention to the disassembly. Those lifters were installed with the holes pointing to the passenger side. In other words, the holes on the passengers side lifters pointed to the pistons and the holes on the drivers side lifters pointed to the valley.

They must have been shipped with the holes all pointed one way, and dropped in like that. So, I figured it didn't matter, and stopped trying to keep them in a particular orientation.

Hey has anyone ever thought about the postion of the oil bleed hole
while putting your Roller Liffters in your block?

You must be talking about a block that is set up for roller lifters and not retrofit roller lifters? Obviously, linkbar lifters can only be installed a certain way. I believe the link bar lifters are set up to have the oiling hole towards the valley.

A bigger issue is making sure the oil band stays in contact with the oil galley hole. Sometimes, with higher lift cams it will raise above the oil galley hole and you may have to chamfer the rocker arms for proper oiling. This is usually a bigger issue for solid roller rockers than hydraulic roller rockers due to the design differences between hydraulic and solid roller rockers and the amount of lobe lift.

Back