• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bench Seat Foam

dm289

I am considering purchasing a bench seat for my 66, yet it needs to be recovered. Does a bench seat use the same seat foam as Bucket Seats??? I realize the center foam would either have to be re-used or probably custom built.

Thanks..

That's a good question for I would assume you would use the standard seat foam pieces but then having to add some new foam for the center area. Maybe someone will chime in who's has bench seat foam experience. Are you planning to redo the bench yourself or have a local shop do it. I ask for they are probably very use to cutting new foam to fit.

A bit old, but I'd give it a big NO. The bench seat foams have a different form on the inner edge to mate against the hump. At least on the '68 I did. No way the Bucket foams fill the entire area....

OEM foams
CIMG1190Medium.jpg

New foams
CIMG1194Medium.jpg

Franken-foam cut-and-paste to fill corner properly, otherwise you'll have a big floppy unfilled area that will look like crap.
CIMG0006Medium-Copy.jpg

CIMG0007Medium.jpg

Then covered with thin batting/foam before covering.
CIMG1199Medium.jpg

CIMG0018Medium.jpg

CIMG0019Medium-Copy.jpg

Finshed product
CIMG00022Medium2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back