• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

black or red oxide??

SELLERSRODSHOP

going to shoot the underneath of the car today so i can get this thing together. have been planning on shooting it black, but after cleaning it up yesterday, cant decide if i want to do that or go back with the original red oxide. believe it or not, with the exception of a few places, it looks pretty dang clean to be original underneath. looks like 43 yrs of grime preserved it really well...i'm still leaning towards the black, mainly because the new stainless steel fuel/brake lines will look better on the black. opinions??

yes, was originally red oxide, but the car isn't going back original as far as the restoration, its a hotrod. i'll have to get a couple pics underneath before i put anything on there.

"Jonk67" said:
Steve's car is a '69 and his favorite plant is the tulip.
Jon

yes! and do you know where i prefer your "tu-lips" ??????? :hide

"buckeyedemon" said:
what year/plant?

it is a 69, would have to look at my buck tag again to see where it was made.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
yes! and do you know where i prefer your "tu-lips" ??????? :hide

Yep, along the lines of the old joke 'I got a job for you planting tulips'
Hope I can sneak away between Sat. evening and Mon. evening, are you working in the shop Sat/Sun/Mon Steve?
Jon

yeah, found out mon steph is gonna have another surgery on 6-13 & will be off work for another 6 months, so gotta get as much time in as possible before that...

may be gone for a bit sat evening...

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
it is a 69, would have to look at my buck tag again to see where it was made.

it will be the letter after the 9 on your tags.

post the code when you get a chance.

thanks.

"cmayna" said:
I like black bottoms :thu

black it is! shot it this evening....actually shot the first coat in red oxide then went black, that way if i missed a spot, it will look authentic.

Not sure about Metuchen but Dearborn used slop gray on most 69s. My car is a San Jose car and as many times as I've been under it I can't recall seeing red oxide anywhere.

Black will look good.

"Sluggo" said:
Not sure about Metuchen but Dearborn used slop gray on most 69s. My car is a San Jose car and as many times as I've been under it I can't recall seeing red oxide anywhere.

Black will look good.

this one was all red oxide with blue overspray on the edges of the pans & rails. fenderwells were undercoated.

Back