• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Body work help

Ok so my 68 sits outside and I'm stripped it to bare metal twice and primered it but rust came back. The car is outside and I'm on a budget so I would like to get the car all one color and looking decent/while protected from rusting. Can anyone give me some tips and tricks.

I am planning on getting it down to metal again then using body filler where needed and then using an etching primer this time followed by some kind of paint to seal it. Does that sound right?

Epoxy will not absorb moisture like regular primer (that's why your car keeps rusting) but it is also not designed to leave sitting outside long term either as it is not typically UV resistant which means it will be negatively affected by sitting out under the sun. Spray it in epoxy and keep it covered.

Get some SPI Epoxy, it has UV resistance added in and it is suitable for long term exposure. Most of my car's bottom and one quarter is covered in it and for some strange reason I keep getting caught in the rain, no rust yet.
It mixes 50/50 and sprays well with a cheap gun, they have it in the red oxide, white and black.

Epoxy primer is the way to go. If SPI has one with uv protection, use it.

You can also do filler work over top of epoxy in most cases.

UV blockers and inhibitors do function well but they are not 100% and do lose effectiveness over time. We put such in many of the products we manufacture so I am very familiar with their function and performance. By all means, if you can get an epoxy that has such...use it. I would still recommend a good car cover as well. Cheap added insurance.

Ok so take it down to bare metal then use an epoxy primer and then use body filler etc to do body work on top of the epoxy primer?

Back