• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boss parts?

limeyboy

I'm trying to understand the engine in my '70 mach 1.
I bought it as a 2v with a 4v Holley on it but the more I take it apart the more I find out.

The intake manifold is a D1ZX-9425-DA which according to mustangtek is a "351C and BOSS 351 Unique competiton part" ( does that mean it was only fitted on the Boss or not?)
The heads are 4* with a date code of "1C18" march 71 I think, so maybe CC or maybee not
The valve covers have the drip fingers etc inside and look like Boss ones
There are pushrod guides C9ZE-6A564-C which again appears to be a Boss part
I've had the sump off and it's a 2 bolt mains

I've been in touch with the second owner (1998 - 2007) and he told me the original owner worked at a Ford / Lincoln dealership and had "Pantera heads fitted"

Were Panteras sold through Lincoln dealers and does that make it more likely the heads are CC ones?

Any thoughts guys?

cheers
Jeff20210508_113310.jpg
IMG-20210508-WA0003.jpeg20210508_120803.jpg20210508_123845.jpg

Pantera’s were sold at Lincoln/Mercury dealers. That’s all I can help with.
As the 1st owner worked at a Lincoln dealer I figure he would understand about 2v and 4v Cleveland heads so why tell the 2nd owner they were Pantera heads unless he thought they were something special.

Because it sounds cooler.

As I understand it, the only way to really confirm if the heads a cc is to visually take a look. You can't trust indicators such as the fabled "dot" etc. If they are date coded 9xx or 0xx they could be cc heads, according to the info I found but that is not 100%. Maybe stick a camera scope in the old plug hole and see if you can get a look?

Because it sounds cooler.

As I understand it, the only way to really confirm if the heads a cc is to visually take a look. You can't trust indicators such as the fabled "dot" etc. If they are date coded 9xx or 0xx they could be cc heads, according to the info I found but that is not 100%. Maybe stick a camera scope in the old plug hole and see if you can get a look?
Funny thing is it doesn't matter what the heads are, it's not going to change anything ( it wont go any better if they are closed chamber :rolleyes: ) it's just this " what is the engine made up of?" thing since I realised it's a bit of a mix of parts and trying to get the story of a 51 year old car from 5,000 miles away.

Really more importantly would be "why have both shock towers been welded" (badly) when there were no cracks through the arm bolt holes? ( usual reason?)
I know the drivers wing was replaced in '75 ( the owners wife hit a parked car) and the 2nd owner had a carb fire ( hence the 4v Holley) but he sold it in 2007 ish and told me the clear coat was going on the hood but as that is OK now the whole car must have been blown over later but there are no bills/info for that or anything after 2011.

Back