• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Braces and structural integrity

Hey guys. I'm doing some work on the firewall and toeboards now for my '66 coupe. Right now, the floors are out (pretty bad rust all around), the engine is removed, and the toeboard and part of the firewall are removed. The problem I have is that I can't really get into the area that I need to in order to fit and replace the firewall piece. I was thinking, since I'll need to repair the cowl anyway, if I remove the cowl now, that will give me access to the area I need. My question is, with the floors and cowl out, will the jackstands under the frame and the roof be enough to keep the car from shifting too much or should I make some braces and bolt them on somewhere. Then, if I need braces, where should they go? Thanks guys.

If the doors are still on the car I think it's okay.

If the doors are not on the car I would build some braces just to be safe. The rockers and the roof together will help with the support but like I said before, extra support never hurt nobody.

The doors are on, but I'm in and out of the car measuring, cutting, then I go to the engine bay, then back to the interior. I supposed i could build some braces for the doors

I still have to build one for the RS but here is my attempt at the support braces.

4f8ec65a.jpg

Back