• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake Light/ Turn signals

I just installed a Painless wire harness in my 66 Mustang. The headlight switch is new as well as the Turn signal switch.

When I powered everything up last night for the first time I had a few Issues that I need to look into.

I havent had time to look start tracking down any of the problems but here is what I ran into.
When I step on the brakes, they come on but the instrument lights come on as well.

When I turn the headlights switch on, the tail lights seem to be lighting up bright like the brake lights, when I step on the brakes there is no change in brightness.

When I turn on the turn signal (either direction) both rear turn signals come on together, the fronts work correctly. Also with the headlights off, the turn signals also make the instrument lights come on.

I think my problem is the turn signal switch. Its been a while since I replaced it and I am wondering if I put some wires in the wrong spots. Does anyone have a diagram of the pin locations for that connector? I looked at the wiring diagrams and its hard to tell which wire goes to which pin.

Anything else I should check? Could the headlight switch be bad or wired wrong as well?

Also I have LED Sequential taillights if that makes a difference. Is it possible for those to be wired incorrectly?

Thanks for any help
Dennis

I have the pin-outs for the turn signal connector, but they are at home (I'm now with my parole officer...). Give me a hollar later today.

Thanks Midlife that would be great. When I get off work I am going to start checking all the connections, hopefully it is something simple.

So apparently the POS repro tailight housings that I got are connecting the brake lights and parking lights together. When I wiggle the connection they start to work correctly but dont stay that way for long. I guess I will just bypass that terminal connection and wire them to the harness directly.

OK...turn signal connector pin-outs:
The six pin plug from the switch has a long interior tab or gap and a short one. Looking at the turn signal switch (from the switch itself), and having the longer interior section on top...
top left is blue (flasher output)
middle left is green (stop lamp input)
bottom left is yellow (horn input)
top right is blue/yellow (horn output)
middle right is green/white (LH turn signal)
bottom right is white/blue (RH turn signal)

Two other wires from the turn signal switch are:
green/orange (LH rear turn/stop)
orange/blue (RH rear turn/stop)

Be careful of repro rear light sockets: often times the two tabs are touching one another. Remove the bulb and make sure the two tabs inside the socket are not touching.

Thanks Midlife, I had the horn wires reversed but I dont think that caused any problems.

I looked inside one of the light sockets and one of the tabs seems to be larger then the other and I think they are touching. Is there a way fix that or do they need to be replaced?

Another problem I just noticed.... I have a brand new fuel tank and sending unit. The tank is empty but the gauge is showing 3/4. can these be calibrated or do I have something wrong? Its a new Auto-meter gauge as well.

Thanks again for your help

Use a small curved metal pick and grab one of the tabs and bend it away from the other tab.

As for your gas gauge problem, double check with autometer to determine whether the sending unit is right for a 13-73 ohm gauge.

Back