• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake line advice

I am getting close to the point of putting my car back together and I am looking for advice on what t do with my brake lines. Car was originally a non-power, 4 wheel drum brake car. I am converting to manual 4 wheel discs. In addition to this, I am going with an aftermarket dual reservoir master cylinder with an aftermarket proportioning valve. If I understand it correctly, this setup would eliminate the factory distribution block and would require modification of factory brake lines. Can this be confirmed? Since the original lines were in rough shape, I was already planning on replacing all of them. Would it make more sense to just make my own lines instead of getting replacement lines and then having to modify them for my application? If I go this route, does anyone know how much bulk line I would need to do the entire car? If I wanted to add an “idiot light” to my dash for my new setup, how would I do that if the factory distribution block is no longer part of the system?

If your car is a 67, it already has a provision for a brake idiot light in the dash. That said, it is a one wire affair, and almost all other years and models the MC is a 2 wire affair. The 67 wire and vacuum book shows how the 1 wire system works for the idiot light so you can adapt your new system to make it work.

Don't know about your skills but with the right tools ...its doable.
I think about 18ft would do the job.Its not that expensive.
The 67 is original equipped with dual MC so I would use/reuse the distributionblock with a prop valve inline in the rear line. Or a combination of it.
Keep an eye on the position where the transition from the hard line to the flex line in front is , as it is different then with stock drum.
The route of the flex lines should be chosen carefully. Turn front tires max left to right and back to see there is no tension on the flex lines nor the connection with the hard lines. Comprendez?

Making your own lines is super simple and easy with even the most basic hand tools for the job. It's also much cheaper and you can route things to suit your needs as well. I'd lose the stock stuff myself and simply incorporate a prop valve for the rear line. Why do you need an idiot light anyway with manual brakes? Your foot will tell you if the system loses pressure.

Back