• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brazing Removal

Hey guys. Almost through the welds on the cowl. Would have had more done this weekend, but spent all day Sunday replacing a sliding glass door that I shattered....

My question is what's the best way to remove the brass brazing at the corners of the cowl? Just a blow torch and a stiff wire brush? Grind it off? Keep in mind that the upper cowl seems to be in OK shape, so I'd like to save it if I can. Any tips? I know Kat recently went through this too but I didn't see anything about the brazing in her build thread...

Since I was removing both parts, I used a cutting tool to cut the excess off, then I grinding it down smooth.

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

Not sure how one would do it if they are trying to save the top piece. :confu

I've opened two to date and took the tops off intending to re-use them. To remove the brass brazed spots I used a cut off wheel to nibble away the brass. You could use a die grinder with a carbide bit too I guess. You probably won't remove all of it, but you can get it thinned enough that it will pop loose with a chisel, without much distortion. Once off you can them do like Kat said and just clean it all up.

Back