• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brisket recipe with pics from king of coals... Fantastic!!

copasspupil

Donator
This is a recipe which I modified slightly. It is certain to turn a piece of cow chest muscle into a wonderful platter of tender juicy meat. I have used this recipe many times and it is so good, it would be hard to get me to try something else.

Marinate Mixture:

4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons Sugar
4 Tablespoons Paprika
4 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Cracked Pepper or Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Thyme
2 Tablespoons Cumin
1 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
1 Can Beer/Dr. Pepper works great as well
2 Cups Buttermilk added to mixture after it is chilled.

Mix all ingredients, except buttermilk, in a small pot and warm on stove to melt them together. Once heated and mixed well, chill mixture and then add Buttermilk.
brisketmarinate%20001w.jpg

Place the brisket in a vacuum bag along with all the ingredients. Let sit in fridg, turning occasionally, for at least 24 hours, I like a three day marinate myself.

Cooking:

Pay attention to the run of the grain of the meat because you will want to slice across that grain when serving the brisket. Place brisket on grill with the fat side up. Keep the internal grill temp as low as possible for at least an hour, or a little more, so you have cool smoke on the meat. I try to stay below 200 degrees. After an hour of good smoking, ease the heat up to around 300. Don't overshoot your heat, it takes forever to lower it.

Timing: 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound average cook time.
A full size brisket is going to take between 15 and 25 hours to reach 190 degree internal meat temp. Small brisket slabs will take 8 to 12 hours.

Resting:

Remove brisket when it reaches at least 190 degrees and immediately wrap in foil and cover with a bath towel to insulate the foil from cooler air. Let this sit for at least half an hour before slicing. Or foil wrapped brisket can be held in an oven at 170 degrees for an hour or two before serving.

Handling:

If you are going to save the finished brisket for another day, after it sits in the foil and towel for a while, open it and chill it down very well while unwrapped. Once it is chilled through, wrap it in foil and keep chilled until ready to heat for serving later. Heat brisket in foil at 400 degrees when ready to serve. A stick thermometer will tell you when it is hot inside.

Brisketw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine looking slab o'meat. Smoked 10lbs. of brisket last weekend. I'll give your marinade a try next time.

Back