• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Broken motor. Ugh.

Shaun

Went to Gingerman Raceway Sunday. Nice 12 hour round trip for 23 minutes on the track. First session went well, testing out the new radiator, second session, 3rd lap the #5 piston decided it didn't want to be in one piece anymore:

IMG_6999.JPG

Not having much luck this year! Block is already .040 over so I'm hoping/thinking I'll just hone the cylinder and stick another piston on it and try that. Haven't got the 347 plan together yet to build something right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, do I know how you feel! Sorry to hear the bad news, but maybe you'll get lucky and just need to replace the piston.

So.....only turning <6000 rpm can be bad too??

&quot;silverblueBP&quot; said:
So.....only turning <6000 rpm can be bad too??

LOL, yeah, would appear so! Actually I've been really lucky. Its still the stock bottom end I bought with the car. I've been so busy getting it to corner and stop that the motor has been the last thing to get upgraded. I've flogged that stock bottom end to death for years!

Ouch. I know your pain. I just yanked Sabrina's 289 and it had the whole skirt busted off. How does the cylinder wall look?

&quot;silverblueBP&quot; said:
Man, do I know how you feel! Sorry to hear the bad news, but maybe you'll get lucky and just need to replace the piston.

+1 here .

&quot;66gt350&quot; said:
Ouch. I know your pain. I just yanked Sabrina's 289 and it had the whole skirt busted off. How does the cylinder wall look?

The wall 'looks' good. I haven't dropped the pan yet to see what it looks like. I'm a little worried about metal in the bearings...

That sucks. I know how you feel as well. I am pulling my engine on Friday to see how much damage a broken dog bone caused.

Let's see,

I've had nothing but trouble with my engine since Midlife sent me a picture of his dash.

I sell him a bellhousing at a super good deal and he lifts the curse.

I buy parts from Shaun and must have done something to-for Darreld

Both of you now have the curse.

Bad for you....good for me :pbj :thu :yah

Sorry :roll

Now that you bring it up. I was having an electrcal issue and narrowed it down to my courtesy light. Mid stepped up and offered me a new light to fix it but I figured out what I did wrong and told him I did not need it. He must have cursed me at that point. The next time I started the engine the noise started. :confu

Midlife must have a second hobby : VOODOO
I bet he has some 1/18 modelcars laying around with faces of Shaun , SilverBP and 68EFIvert stick to it.

&quot;Shaun&quot; said:
LOL, yeah, would appear so! Actually I've been really lucky. Its still the stock bottom end I bought with the car. I've been so busy getting it to corner and stop that the motor has been the last thing to get upgraded. I've flogged that stock bottom end to death for years!
Bummer - what's wrong with that piston - looks just like a flesh wound!

You sound like me, Shaun except my motor is more like the energizer bunny. Last Wed on the track, I had engine coolant temps past 240 degrees and the engine just keeps going!

I guess I made the right choice when I had my engine built with 8.5:1 compression ratio so I could run 87 octane fuel in it!

(fingers crossed with lucky tigger swaying from my rear view mirror)

&quot;opentrackerSteve&quot; said:
Bummer - what's wrong with that piston - looks just like a flesh wound!

You sound like me, Shaun except my motor is more like the energizer bunny. Last Wed on the track, I had engine coolant temps past 240 degrees and the engine just keeps going!

I guess I made the right choice when I had my engine built with 8.5:1 compression ratio so I could run 87 octane fuel in it!

(fingers crossed with lucky tigger swaying from my rear view mirror)

I think that could be part of my problem. My old stock sized alum. rad plugged up at VIR and the last session Sunday I cooked it big time, overheated like crazy. I wonder if I put a crack in that piston. I'm now running a massive dual pass rad and the first session before it broke Sunday ran super cool:

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

Pulling the block next weekend, hone the cylinder and slap another piston on it. See how that works out.

I have an AFCO that's almost identical but the bottom fitting is on the driver's side....

Mark came over today and we pulled the motor. The #5 piston is pretty mangled and it has scored the wall. Ugh.

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

Back