• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bypassing the resistor wire using the resistor wire

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I just thought of a great way to bypass the resistor wire without removing it for those of you with aftermarket distributors.

Take the lead that goes to the coil and instead route it to a relay as a trigger signal. With a power source directly from the battery, the relay would then take the output signal and route it to the coil. The resistor wire signal will be 12V, because of the high input resistance of the relay, and it should work quite well as a trigger signal.

What I don't know is if the relay needs to respond to the coil voltage drop every time there is a spark, but I suspect it would work just fine.

The only drawback would be that the original Ford OEM tachs would not work anymore, as they are current sensing devices and need to be between the ignition and the coil. Aftermarket tachs should work very will with the relay set-up as described.

Hmmm....I wonder why this hasn't been thought of before...

It has......long time ago........some relays do not like the lower power of the resistor wire when using for activation. Common ones use 12 volts for activation. Out of 5 I tried several years ago, 3 worked good, two would not always activate. With a relay that would be 100% activating on a lower voltage, it works good.

Back