• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

C-4 swap to T-5z closer to becoming a reality...least expensive option?

I'm going to sell a car to help fund a 5spd swap into my notchback. Any tips on how to piece this deal together and still save $$? I have a quote from a local shop for just shy of $3k and another quote from modern driveline for just shy of $4k. I've searched craigslist for used T5s and they're hard to come by in NorCal or they're just beat and still commanding close to $1100, while new is $1750.

Can anyone who has done this swap speak of ways to source the needed parts (clutch, hydraulic slave kit, fasteners, pedals, etc) to save money?

Thanks!!

I'm going to watch this thread too. I have a 65 289/3 speed car, and a 5.0/T5 to put in it...

Honestly, one of the cheapest ways to source parts (regardless of the type of swap, T5, AOD,EFI 5.0), is to look for a totaled out car with the stuff in it that you want. Yeah, you'll still have to source out a few parts for the recipient car, but it'll be much cheaper!

With my EFI 5.0/AOD swap into my '66 coupe I found a wrecked '92 that had the engine/trans I wanted. It cost me $900, plus I got every wiring harness, switch, bolt, clip, washer, etc that was particular to the parts I used. It was also a running and driving car when wrecked, not some unknown "how long has it sat" part. Just a thought!

I just don't see how you can get around some of the spend if you are converting to a manual. You will still need to buy a clutch activation mechanism wether it be manual, cable or hydraulic. My vote is hydraulic , but they cost several hundred. I would put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing no matter what. Where you can save is if you have the skills you can build your own crossmember. Also, keep looking for a cheap T5. I found one for $150. Spent another $200 on a complete rebuild kit and rebuilt it myself. The clutch pedal is another expense, fortunately it will mount right into your auto pedal hanger by just trimming the brake pedal. It all adds up quickly.

I just don't see how you can get around some of the spend if you are converting to a manual. You will still need to buy a clutch activation mechanism wether it be manual, cable or hydraulic. My vote is hydraulic , but they cost several hundred. I would put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing no matter what. Where you can save is if you have the skills you can build your own crossmember. Also, keep looking for a cheap T5. I found one for $150. Spent another $200 on a complete rebuild kit and rebuilt it myself. The clutch pedal is another expense, fortunately it will mount right into your auto pedal hanger by just trimming the brake pedal. It all adds up quickly.
So true. It's all the little things that add to the cost.

What Ken said. Grab a used, rebuildable T5 and do it yourself. They are about as easy a trans to do as you will ever find. Just be sure to take a good look inside before you buy to know what you are getting. If you need to start replacing shafts and gears it can get pricey. In my neighborhood (which is likely not the cheapest) you can find rebuilt T5s for around $800, as an alternative. DON'T buy a new one. Absolute waste of money. There is nothing different between new and a quality rebuilt unit other than $$$.
Because it is in my nature and i work largely in sales by profession, I simply almost refuse to pay full price for stuff. You would be amazed at the stuff I scrounge off Craigslist, etc. I also, knowing this was not an overnight project, identified parts I needed to buy new and made it a point to watch for various vendor sales and jumped when stuff got cheap.
You can find original manual pedal sets on E-bay all the time. Same for Craigslist if you broaden your searches. I wouldn't buy from a vendor as they need to mark up for profit, etc. Patience and you will score. Remember too that you can then re-sell your old set-ups and parts. Be surprised how much you can re-coup this way.
Last point. If you go hydraulic you have many paths you could take. You don't always have to buy kits, etc. Sometimes (almost always for me) I would buy key stuff that might be proprietary and proven design but finish out the full "kit" by making additional pieces or buying separately from more competitive (or on sale) vendors.

When it comes to finding suitable T5 trans make sure it is of the best variety. Do your homework so you know the differences. It's not hard. Print out a readily available information sheet off the web so you can identify what you are looking at. What you want is a mustang GT (5.0) trans from I want to say like 88-91 ideally. The info sheet will tell you the strength value by the HP/TQ ratings. It is called a WC (world class). This is not nearly as impressive a difference inside as the name implies but the ones I write about are such and have the toughest internals, if you will.

Just to give you an idea of what can be done if you are patient and capable, my total cost for a auto to manual conversion using a 1990 T5 and a hydraulic throw-out bearing set-up totals out at under $1600 and that includes EVERYTHING. Pedals to bellhousing to shifter. I just bought new wiring pieces even for the back-up and neutral safety switches. To be fair, a big score in my case was a very inexpensive trans that was in great shape and needed very little by way of cost to get it ready to go. Had i needed to do what would be more common full rebuild you can add a few hundred maybe to that final number.

I cannot stress enough to be smart about your approach and patience.

Missed a thought. Just because used trans are scarce or expensive in your area should not be a big deal. Use a national Craigslist search device. T5s are not that heavy and shipping is not that big a deal $. You should be able to find decent ones for less than half the used cost you quoted in your post. Just insist on lots of pics of the important things you need to be looking at. i.e. model number on casting, internals, front of case, etc. If you are going into it expecting to rebuild there really isn't too much risk if they provide the pics.

So a T5 rebuild is pretty easy? Any good sources for info on the critical points? Do you need a press for the bearings? or any special tools? I NEED to rebuild mine.

So a T5 rebuild is pretty easy? Any good sources for info on the critical points? Do you need a press for the bearings? or any special tools? I NEED to rebuild mine.
Craig, I bought my trans because the deal was too good to pass up. I felt better when I met the guy at his place to buy it and...let's just say it certainly looked like he needed the cash...but he struck me as an honest dude so I took him at his word about the trans condition. That and all the physical evidence measured up. Even then, once home I immediately opened her up planning to rebuild as needed. I had NEVER opened any trans before. A little apprehensive but after seeing a lot on the web wasn't "afraid" of the task. I had that thing in pieces in no time and putting it all back together was easy. Couple tricks to make things go smoothly but not at all hard. I've had plug changes that took more effort and intellect to pull off. Seriously.

Google is your friend. SO much out there from line by line text guidance to an abundance of videos, etc.

I had 4 t5's at once. Was getting them in on trades. Think I've still got one left other than the one that's built for my car. Craig ended up with one of them.

I bought a video series from Badshoe productions. With that anyone can rebuild a t5. It was so good I also bought his C4 video and did one of those.

i have rebuilt C4's and a C6 and some serious parts swapping on AOD's. I have replaced syncros in a couple old 4 speeds. I've had the T5 tail and top cover off. I was just wondering if the bearings are pressed on anywhere. I have built rear differentials too and I think I can do a T5 but was wondering if I need any special tools. I had to buy several things to rebuild rear-ends. The one I got from Bill needs the cluster gear shaft replaced as well as 2nd gear.

Yes, there are a few times a press is needed for bearings to be removed or pressed on. Fortunately, I've become buddies with the local (at work town) tire shop gear heads and access to all there tools.

Yes, there are a few times a press is needed for bearings to be removed or pressed on. Fortunately, I've become buddies with the local (at work town) tire shop gear heads and access to all there tools.
cool, I was thinking that after looking at it awhile!

Ok, thanks for all the useful tips. Did a bit of Craigslist searching and when i keyed in "T5 Mustang" into the search field, I got several more hits that were within a 90min drive from my home. Also, prices were as low as $250 and averaging around $600 for a decent used T5. Plus, I found an old archived Hot Rod article on how to rebuild a T5 to T5z specs. Now my question is this: Is there a database for T5 transmission tags to know if one that I'm buying is from a legit Mustang application and to confirm the vintage from where its original application? I've read that ideally, I should get a '90-'93 era unit. If I can stretch the car sale funds to also cover a new stereo and dash, then BONUS!

Back