• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

California and water based paints

daveSanborn

Is anyone familar with the new CA laws IRT switching to water based paints? While I was visiting San Diego last weekend it came up in conversation with a local body shop owner. He's anything but thrilled with the new paint and processes to apply it. According to him, color matching is nearly impossible.

I'm certainly no expert, but I am aware of the new law changes. Seems some body shops like it, some hate it. It was no different, though, when they went with the new 2 stage BC/CC paint jobs.

I hear that color matching is very difficult, if you have an oil based paint you're trying to match to. The 1-Day Paint and Autobody that painted AzPete's '66 has made the switch to water based now. We contemplated having them shoot the left rear quarter to remove 2 paint chips, but we both agreed that it could easily ruin the paint job, which is pretty nice right now. Instead, I got the old paint codes and went to an Auto Paint store, and had them mix me up some touch up paint for $14. Something I should have done 3 years ago!

BTW, a friend of mine just painted his '68 Camaro with a silver water based paint. It looks fantastic, from the parts I've seen (it's going to be another year before he has it back on the road).

It all depends on the area and the severity of the non-attainment for either state or federal ozone standards. Up here is Shasta County, we don't require the use of water based paints. The paints used has to meet VOC requirements. Currently, there are no plans for us requiring body shops to switch over to water based paints.

My body shop shoots both BC/CC as well as water based paint. He said that water based paint systems is not a "requirement" yet, but it's heading that direction. I spent a little time talking with the main painter, and he said the water based paint lays down a bit differently (actually a little thicker/heavier), but not that hard to adjust to. However, like others have said, color matching between two paint systems is problematic.

Hmmmmmm,
Michael, I've heard it is manditory, though I know a couple shops that still use BC & CC and know retailers locally who still sell it. Shhhhhh!

"cmayna" said:
Hmmmmmm,
Michael, I've heard it is manditory, though I know a couple shops that still use BC & CC and know retailers locally who still sell it. Shhhhhh!

I just looked at the the BAAQMD Reg 8, rule 45 for the coating of mobile equipment, and there is no requirement for using water based paint. There are limitations on the VOC content of the material.

it's just a bunch of gov't B.S. from what i can tell. how much of the environment are they really saving since the primers/sealers under the waterborne basecoats & the clearcoats on top are still solvent based? the only thing water based are the color coats.

Michael, I've heard it is manditory.....

Craig, the body shop owner that I was talking to was in San Diego County. He stated that the water based paint requirement would go into effect in 6 months..... so I'm assuming 01 January 2011. He and his painters have been going to paint supply company sponsored classes learning how to use the new system.

I made a comment to him that it's a shame that BC/CC would be going away because as an occasional "backyard" painter it is a very easy/forgiving process. He stated that low volume type home painters would still be able to purchase BC/CC, but with the major purchasers (body shops) required to use the water based paint, the availability of BC/CC would slowly fade in CA.

Remember that this is just a discussion. I only learned of this while throwing back my 11th solo cup of Coors Light last weekend. Don't take anything I say as gospel. I thought it was an interesting subject and wanted to learn more here.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
it's just a bunch of gov't B.S. from what i can tell. how much of the environment are they really saving since the primers/sealers under the waterborne basecoats & the clearcoats on top are still solvent based? the only thing water based are the color coats.

They do make a water-primer. IIRC, there's one county, I think it's Kern County, that is requiring the use of a water-based primer to be applied over a precoat.

Water-based paint are definitely coming, I've talked with some of the painters here in Shasta County. And some like the paint, and some don't. One problem with switching over to water-based paints is the paint booths. The current booths don't have the air flow that the water-based paints require. Some shop owners are not too happy that they'll have to get a new booth. But luckily up here in Shasta, there's no plan to swap over any time soon -- that is until the state and feds lower the ozone attainment level, and all of California is classified as federal non-attainment.

We are using some PPG water based paint and the color match is way better than solvent based paint. PPG has this stuff down to a science. The stupid thing is that right now water based is mainly color. They are working on primers, sealers, and clears, but using water based color only doesn't really cut out that many VOC's. It's like anything else the government gets their hands in, they don't know what they are doing. As far as the booths go, changing fan pulleys and a few other things makes most booths usable for water systems. The problem is that blowing more air around causes more dirt to end up in the paint, so the paint booth needs to be cleaner than usual.

Doug

I heard from a guy that went to a meeting about it and sprayed some. He said the colors "pop" they are very vibrant. The guy says that venturi blowers are required. The booths will have them mounted to "blow" off the car. They also make hand held ones that look like hair dryers. This is what the shop owner said he would be using because it doesn't take very long to "blow" it off and liek posted earlier less of a chance for dirt to get in it. The color matches to a solvent paint is difficult BUT when everything is in waterborne paints the color match will be very easy. There are very many things that go into the outcome of a color. There is a guy at the local shop that would spray at different times parts for one car. He would shoot from the same can of paint, same gun, pattern, and number of coats. He couldn't figure out why it didn't match and it was because of the dry times on the base changed the color noticably. With water borne and venturi blowers it will take this problem out, helping with color matching.

Hope this helps, Like I said I talked to a few people about it but have never sprayed it so I'm just going by what they said.

Back