• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

California DMV expert question

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
In the past I was able to check for available personalized plate combinations. In the Mr. Peabody wayback machine DMV had a book with all of the taken plates. At one time I thought taken combinations could be viewed online. Or is this a trip to the DMV only question?

fd

Way back (19 years ago), you could submit the plate information on line and they would ask what significance it had to you, and if they deemed it proper and available they would grant you the privilege of the use of their license plate, provided you paid the appropriate fees. It wasn't a list, you had to submit the plate. Remember, this is the California DMV, probably one of the most entrenched institutions of the Swamp, and nothing is simple, easy, or logical. This was slightly better than standing in line and waiting for the swamp creature to yell "NEXT".

Last edited:
Back in '15 I went online to order up plates for the Vette. You just try what you want and then it will deny or approve...just be willing to go with the approved version. And remember that you can use an alpha "O" to replace a numerical "0" and vice versa. Mine has a Alpha "O" in the middle of numerics.....2O16Z51.....the alpha character isn't as exaggerated as this font...difference of squared off edges than curved.

The DMV website does have a page where you can try out your selection(s) and it is supposed to return something like "Availalbe" or "Not available". The down side is that the accuracy on availability is less than 100%. I found a plate that was apparently still available on the web site. I completed the application form and sent it and the $$ in by snail mail as instructed. They cashed the check and several weeks later I get a "Not available" letter by return snail mail and then a separate snail mail with a refund check. What a waste of time! I went with YOM plates instead. Hopefully your experience will be better.

Back