• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam Selection 331 Stroker

Ok, I'll admit. I've got NO IDEA what to do when it comes to cams. So, I need some help. I'm going to start assembly of my motor, and need to figure a cam. If anyone with any experience can help me out, it's much appreciated. Below is the current parts I have and plan to use, along with the cars intent.

88 Roller Block 30 over.
DSS 331 Rotating Assembly, Eagle Cast Crank, Eagle Rods, FX series race pistons with -5cc cuts for Twisted Wedge Heads.
Trick Flow Track Heat 170s 61cc, 1.6 Roller Rockers
Weiland Stealth Intake
Should land right at 10:1 compression with above combo.

Currently a C4, but have a 4r70w to swap later.
Power Brakes
Future plans for EFI (Most likely Holley Sniper)
3.25 Currie Track Lock 8" Rear
Future plans for Air Conditioning

Car will be street car. Mostly driven to and from work on highway, around town, and to some shows in the summer. Should rarely see 6k.
I'd like a nice lump, but nothing radical. Prefer a smooth torque band if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would prefer off the shelf cam at this stage. I'll most likely change heads down the road, so then I would consider a custom grind.

Lots and lots of options. Avoid the temptation to go with some long duration/lots of overlap rumpity cam. You want something with good low end torque and a good operational rpm band. I'd look at cams listed to like as low as 1400 or so on the low rpm end up to 5k. That's a cam ground for street driving. Cams that like 18-2k to start will be doggish day to day driving around town. 98% of your driving will never see even moderately high rpm shifts with an automatic.
You also need to consider the torque converter you'll be using same as trans gearing. I'm assuming nothing more than a notch above stock. Makes a huge difference in proper selection. Also assuming you're using a carb. If any thought to an EFI system make up your mind now because you can gain a lot using a cam ground for one or the other.

Write down everything about the engine and drivetrain. All the gearing. Converter details. Then call all the major cam companies and see what they recommend. Call a couple custom grinders too. Changing your heads isn't going to make a huge difference in your cam choice later. Better heads will simply let the engine breathe better, potentially. The same cam that works well now will do so then.

You also need to consider the torque converter you'll be using same as trans gearing. I'm assuming nothing more than a notch above stock. Makes a huge difference in proper selection. Also assuming you're using a carb. If any thought to an EFI system make up your mind now because you can gain a lot using a cam ground for one or the other.

Write down everything about the engine and drivetrain. All the gearing. Converter details. Then call all the major cam companies and see what they recommend. Call a couple custom grinders too. Changing your heads isn't going to make a huge difference in your cam choice later. Better heads will simply let the engine breathe better, potentially. The same cam that works well now will do so then.

Haven't selected TQ converter yet, due to cam selection. Currently Carb'd yes.
I've emailed Comp and Isky already with my criteria. No response.
I called one other custom grinder (who's fairly recommended) and they wouldn't discuss options without a consultation fee. Which to an extent, I understand, but they wouldn't even offer an off the shelf cam suggestion without that fee. Sort of turned me off.

Thanks for the other info though. I just figured my current combo can't be far off at all from something that's been done a 1000 other times. So there's gotta be something ready to rock on a shelf.

Back