• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam Selection

I try to stay away from economy cams. Materials are questionable, and cam grinds specifically tend to be poor with cheaper cams (ie. Summit brand cams).

What have you done to your motor? Is it a 2V or 4V? What compression? What gears/tranny do you have? What kind of driving do you plan on doing? Do you want a more streetable cam with more low end torque, or do you want a less streetable, higher winding cam?

Answer these questions and I'll try to come up with something for you.

Ok I have a 351C 2V H code motor. I think it has about 9:1 compression if even that. Its in an 72 mustang coupe with a FMX transmission rebuilt for much greater power. The convertor is stock and my rearend is a posi 3.00 also newly rebuiit. I have a edlebrock RPM performer intake with a 650 CFM carb. Pertronix II coil and electronic ignition with taylor tunderbolt wires and E3 spark plugs. Of course it has hedman headers into a stainless 2.5" exhaust system with an x pipe. I want more horsepower and I want to do it without compromising my driveability and fuel economy. I now get 20 MPG on the Hw and I want to keep that if possible. Give me a name and number of a cam kit that I should purchase.

Wow, looking at the specs on that cam....they're horrible. Very inefficient grind.

For what you're working with, I'd probably recommend either the the Comp Cams HE252H or HE260H. The HE252H is an OEM replacement-type cam and will give you more of the daily drivability and mileage that you're looking for. The HE260H is slightly more aggressive and will give you a bit more umph in the midrange and top end, although mileage will likely suffer slightly.

Keep in mind, you can't get significant power gains without sacrificing mileage and driveability. A mild cam will help a little, but to recognize the full power potential of your motor you'd need a more aggressive (but not unstreetable) cam and some shorter gears out back, neither of which are conducive to high mileage. An XE262H and 3.25 gears would really wake the motor up, but you wouldn't be getting 20mpg.

Well I looked at them cams and I made note of them for the future. Thanks

Back