• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can you ID if a rear-end is "open" by looking at it?

DeadStang

I have #2 9" 28-spline rear ends laying around in my garage, taking up space on my side and being extremely heavy to move. One is supposedly open, and the other is supposedly a Traction Lok. They look the same to me... Is there an easy way to tell just by looking if the Lokker truly is?

To my knowledge, no. You'll have to get 'em off the ground and spin a drum to tell. If they are original you may be able to tell by the code but the answer to that requires knowledge beyond me.

"blue65coupe" said:
To my knowledge, no. You'll have to get 'em off the ground and spin a drum to tell. If they are original you may be able to tell by the code but the answer to that requires knowledge beyond me.

They are on the 1/2 shell, with the big gears exposed, if that helps?

Oh, they're not sitting in an axle housing? Turn the input shaft and look at the left and right gears in the differential unit (the part with the small gears inside of it). If both side gears rotate the same direction while turning the input, it's a limited-slip rear. If only one side rotates, it's an open diff.

Or, if you show me a good pic, I should be able to ID it for you.

Back