• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Captain America has electrical issues

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Ok, the car is a 67 C code coupe, manual steering car.

The wiring under hood and under dash is new as of the first restoration 15 years ago.

A week ago everything worked when I replaced the flasher module. I use the wrong one and that is likely why I'm having these issues. I have since replaced it with the correct one.

As of Saturday the driver's side brake light worked as well as running lights. I didn't check emergency flashers.

Today I swapped sides with the bulbs and the driver's side stopped working and passenger side worked. Easy fix right? Oh, well still no turn signals front or rear.

So I broke out my forty year old bulb box and replaced the bulb in the working side and took that bulb and put it in the driver's side non working side. No change.

The running lights work on both. The brake light works on the passenger side only, turn signals don't work and emergency flashers work correctly.

Please tell me it isn't the steering column wiring again. I've replaced it now three times. These repops just don last.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

It's probably your turn signal switch. They burn out easily enough if you tighten the steering wheel too much.
On the back of the TS switch, you'll see rivet heads. These can contact the steering column housing and short everything out. Place some black electrical tape over the rivet heads and try it again.

Before doing that, try your 4-way flashers. That will indicate/confirm if there is a TS issue or not. I believe if all four corners work, then the TS is the issue. If not, then the problem lies in the wiring, the bulb sockets, or the bulbs.

Ok, the four way flashers work.

The new turn signal flasher was put in while in garage and the wheel hasn't been turned.

Are the flashers the same for the turn signals as four the four ways?

TS flashers are normally a bit lower in power than 4-ways, but who knows what's in your car now? Swap flasher cans and see what happens.

I'm not sure what year the Captain is, but the attached schematic is for a 69s exterior lights, and will give you a good idea of how yours works. Clean all the grounds at the sockets and firewall to engine.

Attachments

• MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG3.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 3
Ok, he is a 67.

I didn't notice which wire goes to X and which to L.

Any help?

Ok I figured it out.

Everything point to the switch in the steering column.

So, who makes the best TS switch harness? I am tired of replacing it. Been tempted to replace the steering box and column to get rid of this issue totally!

Mel

Back