• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car Show Format I don't like

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Today, I went to the biggest car show in Panama City, FL. In the past, they put the various cars in classes, and judged the cars within each class, awarding 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Our own Mustang club used this style until very recently, using a quick 15 pt system for engine, body, interior and 5 pts for the trunk.

Today, the format was this: 75 cars got a participation plaque (embossed dash plaque and a picture of the car), Mayor's Choice, 5 Judge's Choice, and Best of Show. There were 81 cars, and so everyone got an award. So...all you had to do was to show up and win. Whoop-te-doo. I used the judge for this show, and we spent a good minute or two for every car. Today, I watched the judges do a quick look-over, no more than 5 seconds, and then they moved on. Yes, this does make it easy on the Judges, but although the judging sheets used the point system, they didn't judge that way. How do I know? 45 minutes later, the judges came by and took the judging sheet off of the dash. That was the first time they touched the sheet.

My feeling is this is nothing more than a glorified cruise-in. I spent well over 10 hours detailing the car...for what? A 5 second look-over? That's bull shit.

Grrrr...

Mid,
That is one reason why I do not take my cars to shows which will be judged unless it's an official MCA show. If a local club is hosting, odds are it's members will somehow win most of the points...go figure. If I do attend, I purposely do not stick around to see if I won for the odds are.......nope.

I knew I did yard work at my daughters house today for a reason.

Wasn't there a $25 entry fee also? I have given up on the judged shows myself. No matter what, there is always a bunch of complaining. There are some good ones out there yet but it is hard to separate them. I just do the cruise ins and the individual car shows at every stop light....

That is why I've stopped going to car shows! I don't go to win anything, but this whole "everyone wins" standard is bullshit. This isn't the 1st grade....there's really good cars that deserve recognition (not mine) and there are just average cool cars.

If I do win something, I want it to mean that the car is appealing to others and that they like it....not that I showed up!!!

"silverblueBP" said:
That is why I've stopped going to car shows! I don't go to win anything, but this whole "everyone wins" standard is bullshit. This isn't the 1st grade....there's really good cars that deserve recognition (not mine) and there are just average cool cars.

If I do win something, I want it to mean that the car is appealing to others and that they like it....not that I showed up!!!
Exactly. I put a lot of time and effort restoring the car (5 years), and effort detailing it for this particular show. Judge me on that, not that I simply show up.

All of the clubs in our area take pains to have the judges selected from outside of the host club, and that individual judges cannot judge cars in their own class. That's very fair. Special awards (e.g. Mayor's Choice, Judge's Choice, etc.) tend to go to individuals of the host club, but I can accept that. I may not like it, however...

Back