• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Charge wire to trunk mount battery

Triton

I am rewiring my car and running a 3g alt. Can I run a wire from the alt. to the relays for the fan and headlights, then another wire from the alt. for the main power feed to the fuse block, then the same wire back to the trunk to a 175 amp little fuse then to the battery? Or do I have to run a dedicated single wire for the charge wire and then another wire back to the fuse block and relays?
Thanks

I would not use the alt. post as the wire feed post. I would run your wire from trunk battery w/inline fuse as mentioned or circuit breaker to a distribution post at the front. Then run a wire to the alt., headlights, fuse panel, etc. from that junction point.

Enginebaywiring.jpg

trunkwiring.jpg

Jon

Jonk67, I see what you mean from the diagram, will 4awg wire be sufficient? I am going to run my starter like the diagram as well but I will have to add another start wire for the starter relay as well.
Thanks

4awg, for the starter cable? I would think the load would be too high during cranking for much less than 2ga. thickness.
Jon

I would consider all the electrical goodies you plan to have. Here's a chart that shows the working load and maximum amp load for chassis wiring. A #4 shows a 135 with a power transmission ability of 60 amps. I have wired a couple of cars using #4 from the trunk mounted battery to the engine bay and have had no issues. I can see no reason to go beyond a #2 in chassis wiring unless you are running a 200+ amp alternator. I will say also that the "quality" of the wire really matters as not all wire is created equal. I always use a good marine rated wire with a cross linked polyethylene insulation. Stay away from the vinyl crap. Here's a handy chart to keep around, it also has a great little calculator at the bottom.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

"Jonk67" said:
I would not use the alt. post as the wire feed post. I would run your wire from trunk battery w/inline fuse as mentioned or circuit breaker to a distribution post at the front. Then run a wire to the alt., headlights, fuse panel, etc. from that junction point.

How is a short wire to a junction any different than using the post on the alternator? Seems like an overcomplication to me, but I'm no electrical guru. As long as you don't have too many terminals on the alternator post, it can essentially acts as a distribution block no?

FWIW, I have a 4ga wire (from an amplifier install kit) running from the battery in the trunk with a 175a ANL fuse going to the alternator post. From the alternator post I have a wire going to a distribution block/fuse block on the front drivers inner fender panel, where the fuse panel feeds the head lights, fan controls, etc.

A little late to the party but whai I did was run 2awg from the alt to the 175 amp fuse then to the battery. I then run a 4awg from the battery to the distribution post. There'pictures in one of my 3g threads.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back