• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Charging/Alternator Questions

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I noticed the ALT. light on the stang this morning on the way to work. I assuming that the alternator has bit the dust. I checked under the hood and I did not throw a belt. This alternator was just replace after last years HRPT because the bearing were squeaking. My dad always told me to replace the regulator when you replace the alternator, Is that really true or just a precaution.

Anything else I should be investigating?

Between the two stangs, I seem to be replacing the alternators every 12 months. Are all the alternators now made crappy?

Anyone ever rebuilt their own, I feel I could not do any worse than the one I have been replacing.

Rebuilding it yourself may be an option if you can find quality parts for it. I've had two remans from chain stores in mine and they both sucked. The 3G I replaced the last one with is a new part and should hold up better.

"janschutz" said:
My dad always told me to replace the regulator when you replace the alternator, Is that really true or just a precaution.

Anything else I should be investigating?

If you're using an electronic regulator, "generally" I'd have to say replacement is not necessary whenever the alternator is replaced. It was a rule of thumb in the day to replace them if the alternator was replaced due to wear. The contact points in the regulator would have also experienced it's fair amount of wear and tear and were prone to failing by burning out or sticking. Electronic regulators did away with this potential problem.

Check the actual output of the alternate with a meter. It could be a failure of the indicating circuit in the regulator.

Are you getting good rebuilds? The 1 year warranty ones usually last about....1 year!

"Ponyman66" said:
Are you getting good rebuilds? The 1 year warranty ones usually last about....1 year!
I have lifetime warranty on the alternators.

I have an extra alternator on the shelf so I swapped out the alternator last night and the issue went away.

"janschutz" said:
I have lifetime warranty on the alternators.

I have an extra alternator on the shelf so I swapped out the alternator last night and the issue went away.

Gotcha. I realize it may void the warranty, but since it's been an ongoing problem have you taken one of your failed alternators apart to see what went bad? It may help point to a problem in the car, or with specific parts. If it's a specific part failing you can indeed rebuild it yourself with quality parts. Autolite and Motorcraft commutators and stators show up frequently on fleabay for a reasonable price. The only other strictly electrical part would be the diodes. Just as a totally off the cuff guess, I would bet a diode is burning out (there are a total of 8 IIRC).

"Ponyman66" said:
Gotcha. I realize it may void the warranty, but since it's been an ongoing problem have you taken one of your failed alternators apart to see what went bad? It may help point to a problem in the car, or with specific parts. If it's a specific part failing you can indeed rebuild it yourself with quality parts. Autolite and Motorcraft commutators and stators show up frequently on fleabay for a reasonable price. The only other strictly electrical part would be the diodes. Just as a totally off the cuff guess, I would bet a diode is burning out (there are a total of 8 IIRC).
Thanks for the information. I might just keep the bad alternator and do the rebuild. IT will have to wait until after the Hot Rod Power Tour. I have too much to already do to be ready for it.

I just had to put a new alternator on my kids truck (it was a junkyard piece judging by the yellow paint pen on it)as it had a really loud bearing going. I bought a new, not remanufactured, unit from Rock auto. About the same cost as a reman unit. Does anyone know what they do in the reman process? I know when I used to do equipment work there was a definite distinction between refurbished, re-built, etc. Wondering just what gets replaced in this case and what is simply tested and re-used.

I wish I had paid more attention when I lived in Corpus Christi, TX. I was trying to find a starter for my wife's Mercury Zephyr. It was kind of an oddball car because while most had an automatic, her's had a 3 speed manual (floor shift!). The nose on the starter housing was different and no one had one. One parts store directed me to a business complex out in the middle of no where. When I walked in an asked for the person I was told to see, I realized it was a rebuild facility for starters, generators and alternators. Sure wish I'd paid more attention and asked questions!! BTW, they had the starter housing I needed too!

My parts supplier told me that some of the cheaper reman units are cleaned up and they replace whatever is bad. Remans like Cardone replace everything that is serviceable and the "new" ones are just that, 100% new. A while back replaced the alternator in a customers Caravan, I used a Napa premium new alternator, damn thing was almost $200 and lasted a month before the bearings started making noise. They warrantied the part and the replacement is going good after a few years now but the point is, even the so called good ones take a crap. I like using Cardone stuff on my classics, Have had good luck with them and most of the time you get original appearing parts. I just picked up a water pump for my 428 CJ engine and it was an original C9 casting.

Back