• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

charging question

Dne'

yes, I'm still working on my charging system! :(
I installed the 100amp alternator, using my stock VR. The initial voltage when starting the car; the voltage goes up to 16-17 volts shown on my VOM, then comes back down after a few seconds to 14 or so volts. ONly does this upon starting. The electric fan(one of them)~ when starting the motor~ the fan is turning a much faster RPM until the voltage drops, then returns to a normal sound. Is my VR malfunctioning~ is this normal to what I'm describing?
thanks,
dne'

Sounds close to normal. Initial surge after starting and then it settles in for the normal charge. The 16-17 is on the high side but not to bad as long as it does not maintain that high of a charge.

Monitoring the Voltage

Thank you Pete! Would it be an issue with the VR? I do have an electronic VR floating around here somewhere I could try. The spike in voltage won't damage anything will it? I'd hate to burn out my dash or something.

Anyway, to monitor the voltage from my drivers seat, would a voltmeter fit where the clock is in my dash?

"AzPete" said:
Sounds close to normal. Initial surge after starting and then it settles in for the normal charge. The 16-17 is on the high side but not to bad as long as it does not maintain that high of a charge.

IMG_7884.jpg

If you come across the other voltage reg, give it a try for the heck of it. If it does not have the spike, use it. I doubt that the small spike will effect anything in your system.

As far as a volt meter, I would find a place to mount both a volt meter and oil pressure gauge in the car. Check around, I believe there are several options others have used.

Cool! I installed the electronic VR and the spike is no more! Wow, one more thing is taken care of!
Thanks for your help Pete!
dne'

"AzPete" said:
If you come across the other voltage reg, give it a try for the heck of it. If it does not have the spike, use it. I doubt that the small spike will effect anything in your system.

As far as a volt meter, I would find a place to mount both a volt meter and oil pressure gauge in the car. Check around, I believe there are several options others have used.

I was going to chime in that any voltage you see in excess of 14.8V is not good, even if it is for just a few seconds. Glad you were able to fix things without my help!

I have to say, this is an ultimate compliment! Thank you Midlife!
dne'

"Midlife" said:
I was going to chime in that any voltage you see in excess of 14.8V is not good, even if it is for just a few seconds. Glad you were able to fix things without my help!

Back